Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Pink and Salt...




Pink flowers and red meat...It was just one of those weekends.  Geraniums are flowering out everywhere and people had their pits going, all over the neighborhood.  
I found an interesting video, I think, on Pinterest.  It told you how to tenderize the toughest cut of meat you could find by covering it in kosher salt and leaving it (30 minutes per 1/2 inch of meat).  Well, if you've been reading me for very long, you'll know I like a good challenge...SO...I purchased one chuck roast and two New York Strip steaks to experiment on.  NY Strip steak USE to be really tender (back in the Day) but now, since the Steak Inspector gods have decided that marbling (lines of fat that run throughout a piece of meat) was no longer good for you, they end up being pretty tough.  
Well, I followed the instructions...and since the roast calculated out to be about 2 1/2 hours, I left them all...at almost 3 hours...WELL!  I don't know about the roast because I washed the salt off and then froze it. but the steaks WERE a LOT more tender...once you got past the SALTINESS!Hahaaa... geez!  Oh well, guess I need to cut back on the time for steaks (I knew better but just didn't think about the difference in size of each piece of meat).  Too much cleaning and laundry going on!
I WILL try this again but won't leave the salt so long and will REALLY give the meat a GOOD washing before seasoning!
Well, guess I'll end this and come wart you in a while!
Enjoy your day...

11 comments:

Sally said...

Well, goodness gracious. That looks so yummy. I've been having some dental issues for the past few months, and I cannot wait for a steak! :)

Another thing you can do to tenderize meat (you probably already know) marinate in Italian dressing overnight. It has worked for me time & time again. My oldest cousin, the one who is a cattle "raiser" - his girlfriend told me about the dressing when I was over there one time taking care of him.

xoxo

Out on the prairie said...

I brine pork and chicken to grill. This way you can do with chicken, just rubbing it on good and grill whole. Really complements the bird.

Jenny said...

I have been carrying on for years a torrid affair with salt and red meat. I like pink flowers too, if that counts for anything ... the smell of meat on a grill sends me to heaven. I think TG will be firing ours up this weekend ... NOW! Haaahaha love you girl xoxo

Jeanette said...

I'll have to try tenderizing with salt sometimes! I usually cook beef in my slow cooker, but I don't think it would work well with steaks!

Ann Thompson said...

I bet your neighborhood smelled great. It won't be long before people will be cooking out around here. I'll have to give the salt thing a try

Lin said...

I love BBQ season! We do a lot more chicken and fish than red meat anymore. although I do love a steak on the grill every now and then. YUM!

bichonpawz said...

I am a meat and potatoes kind of girl! NOTHING better than a great steak cooked on the grill! I will give this salt thing a try too...thanks Donna!

Sandy Trefger said...

MMMM...I love salt. :) Interesting technique, may give it a try. Beautiful flowers!!


~Sandy
Sandy’s Crafty Creations Blog

A Colorful World said...

Interesting idea, but wonder if the salt taste will always be there, no matter what time frame you use. Lovely flowers.

Anvilcloud said...

It looks very good, but I may pass on salting.

Lee said...

That steak looks yummy. I had a deliciously thick "on-the-bone" rib steak for lunch yesterday. Now I feel like another one!! :)