Friday, March 1, 2024

Fragrance...Bubbles, Cookies and Kisses



Good morning, Friends.  It's been another unremarkable week...I think I'm going to just be grateful for that.
I went to my eye surgeon's appointment yesterday.  I go every six months.  I had a macular hole repaired.  He now is saying it looks like I have the beginnings of macular degeneration...I don't need injections...just a high-powered vitamin,  PreserVision AREDS 2, twice a day.  I hope it helps.  I don't want to have to get the injections into my eye...uggg




I love this thing!  I got a large jar...dropped in a string of tiny lights that you plug in (they get hotter and diffuse the fragrance better) poured in one of those large bags of fragranced flowers, wood shavings, etc.  I know you've seen them.



Then I topped the jar with a lace doilie...and ribbon.  Then plug it in!  YUM!!
The scent last for years!  I made this jar about 30 years ago!  It's still putting off a sweet scent...not as strong as in years past but still a scent that is filling my dining room, as I type.










Larry (Gampa) and I (Gamma) gave Samantha (our granddaughter), this buggy for her work.   She does weddings and needed a method of transporting all her supplies from her car to the venues.  Sloane, (our greatgran) decided it must be for her...and refused to get out of it...Lolol
The only way we could get her out, without creating a scene, was using bubbles.  Samantha has a bubble gun and started loading it and spraying it...lol...well Sloane decided that was wonderful and she had to be part of all the excitement!  














Mom and Dad took her to the zoo...and Samantha said the buggy also came in very handy there, as well.






Lolol...Don't get it?  Think a moment...




I made some shortbread cookies.  I sprinkled sugar crystals on them before baking.  I also added 1 CUP of powdered sugar instead of the called for, 3/4ths cup, to the dough. 







Larry made us some Teriyaki chicken leg quarters for our lunch yesterday.  We'll enjoy them today.  I'll simply re-heat along with a side veggie.



This is one of my favorite little poems about your children and how fast time flies by...When I first read it, years ago, I almost cried.  I miss being that young mother...I know you probably do, as well.
So...with that, I'll close for this week.  Hope you all are having a sweet and blessed day.
Until next time...


 

23 comments:

Back2OurSmallCorner said...

I love your room scent idea, very clever. Bubbles are fun to enjoy at any age and Sloane looks like she is enjoying the experience. Hope she enjoyed her trip to the zoo. That poem has reminded me to enjoy each day as it comes especially with family and friends. Thank you, Donna x

Barb said...

Hi Donna~ I love the poem at the end, it's a tear jerker! I too miss being a young mom. They just grow up so stinkin' fast! I'm so glad you are able to enjoy that sweet, Sloan, she's adorable. Your scent jar is beautiful, and the cookies look delicious, thanks for the recipe, I think I'll try it soon. Sorry to hear about the macular degeneration. My mom had to have shots in her eyes, and she said it was painless, but I'm not sure it helped her much. Keep taking those vitamins, they seemed to help her a lot. Have a great week-end! Hugs, Barb

Ann said...

That's a neat idea with the jar. I'm surprised it keeps putting out scent after all those years.
Sloane is such a cutie pie. I'm betting that buggy is going to come in handy for a lot of things.

Mari said...

My family has a lot of macular degeneration so I take the Areds too.
That is a handy buggy - for Samantha and Sloan!
Your cookies look so pretty with the sparkling sugar on them.
I like that jar idea.

Granny Marigold said...

I'd like to make one of those scent jars. Yours looks so pretty and you say the scent lasts a long time. I find the Scentsy wax melts really don't last very long so I'm looking for an alternative.
The Shortbread cookies look yummy!!

Margaret D said...

Macular Degeneration sorry to read you have the beginnings of it - sure hope the pills work.
Love your biscuits, they do look yummy.
Sloane and those bubbles I bet she had fun with them..and whatever works to get her out of the buggy.
Love the poem and the 'egg' lol..
Take care.

DeniseinVA said...

Sloan always brings a smile when I see her, so adorable! Sorry to hear about your eyes. I hope those vitamins do the job. Yummy food, funny funnies. The poem is great too. Thanks so much and have a great weekend.

photowannabe said...

Sigh, that poem is a tear jerker.. Enjoy our families forever..thankful I have such wonderful "kids".
Keep taking those vitamins for your eye problem. I pray it does the trick.
Shortbread cookies are one of my favorite kind of cookies. These look like I could just dive right in to them.
Love your Sweet Sloane.
Sue

Polyester Princess said...

I hope the high powered vitamins do the trick and you can keep avoiding the injections. Uggg indeed!
I'm loving the jar made. It looks and sounds absolutely heavenly.
Isn't Sloane a sweetie? I don't blame her for not wanting to get out of that buggy, and didn't it turn out to be absolutely perfect! xxx

Lowcarb team member said...

Sorry to read about the macular degeneration, I hope the vitamins work for you.
I do like the jar you made.

... and who doesn't like bubbles! Sweet photographs of Sloane.
I like the ones at the zoo too.

Have a happy month of March.

All the best Jan

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Donna. I see the commercials for Areds all the time. I am glad there is something you can do short of injections. It's so great that there is help for macular degeneration. You remind me that I am way overdue for my annual eye exam. Those cookies look so yummy. I hope you have a good Sunday tomorrow. See you again soon!

Linda said...

Oh, I'll have to try that room scent, smiles. Wishing you a beautiful week ahead.

Red Rose Alley said...

Donna, first, I'm sorry to hear this about your eyes. I do hope they improve with the vitamins. I'm glad that buggy worked at the zoo. And the bubbles! My grandgirls always LOVED those bubbles. Larry's teriyaki chicken is making my mouth water haha. And the fairy lights jar is magical. What a clever idea to put the fragrance flowers in there to give off a pretty scent. I am just wondering about the lights and how you plugged them in.

Wishing you wonderful March days.

~Sheri

**Can't read the poem, so I'll enlarge it, thank you for sharing.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

That jar with the lights is wonderful. I’m going to make one of my own. I’m also going to make some of your shortbread cookies.

dori said...

These vitamines shurely help to shelter your eyes from more illness.

It's good to ave a good quiet week! I think: The more we get elder, the less we nees adventures! :)

I love your names Gampa and Gamma!!!! :)

Sloane bed comes a small lady! She is growing and also her hair is growing!

I also love fine scents from natural plants and woods! Thes are very nice jars!

The Lord is blessing you and your beautiful family!




dori said...

Diese Vitamine tragen sicherlich dazu bei, deine Augen vor weiteren Krankheiten zu schützen.

Es ist schön, eine schöne, ruhige Woche zu haben! Ich denke: Je älter wir werden, desto weniger brauchen wir Abenteuer! :) :)

Ich liebe deine Namen Gampa und Gamma!!!! :) :)

Sloane wird eine kleine Dame! Sie wächst und auch ihre Haare wachsen!

Ich liebe auch feine Düfte aus natürlichen Pflanzen und Hölzern! Das sind sehr schöne Gläser!

Der Herr segnet Sie

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Catherine said...

I am back! Baby William is born today and is in good health!
I love Sloanes’s ( new car 😆)
Your shortbreads are very nice and sounds very good. My best cookies!
I love thé beef and egg! 😂 Larry is a good cook chef!

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

I sure hope and pray all goes well with your eye surgery. What a lovely grandchild. The shortbread look so delicious.

Happy Easter and Happy Spring!

Jeanette said...

Sloan is so cute! Even when she's being a little sassy! Those cookies look so good!

Sandra Cox said...

You have the most beautiful header memes.
Sorry to hear you are having eye problems. I trust the vitamin will take care of it. A friend of mine has to get the shots. Maybe I should quit grumbling about the shots I got inside my nose.
I love lights in jars. Yours are lovely.
Hugs

DeniseinVA said...

I do hope those vitamins help your eyes. That’s a great idea to enhance the scent in your rooms. It also makes for very pretty photos, so warm and inviting. The buggy is a great idea but looks like Sloane has planted her flag, lol! Clever how you diverted her attention. What fun to take her to the zoo. Always enjoy your photos and that poem? Oh my goodness, tissues at the ready. Thanks Donna, lovely post as always and very much enjoyed.

Jenny the Pirate said...

Well, starting at the end, I'm going to play devil's advocate and say, I don't miss being a young mother, hahaha! I like silence and order. Maybe there's something wrong with me. But I admit, I love it when they all show up but I also love it when they go, hahaha! It's all good. But that buggy is GREAT! I need one of those! xoxo