Sunday, January 17, 2016

New Cast Iron...

 Hubby bought me the new cast iron grill I wanted yesterday from Bed Bath & Beyond.  All you do is rest it on existing gas or electric burners and you're good to go!  Well, I washed it, seasoned it, let it cool then tried to make pan cakes on it this morning...

 What a mess that turned out to make!  Almost didn't think I was going to scrape the stuff off the iron!  I managed to get most of it off, threw on some eggs...they didn't stick!Hahaa
I give up...Any tips out there
Finally got a breakfast thrown together...wasn't bad!  So...how's your Sunday going so far?  Hope, better than mine!
Hubby and I have been cooking all weekend.  When you figure that it cost about 20 to 25 dollars for two people to eat out, you realize you need a back-up plan!  Cook!Hahaa....So, we've made soups,  ribs and a roast...oh and navy been stew.  Eating out is a treat anymore...it just cost too much to have someone else do all the work.  So now we're all set for next week.  I may try to do a couple of steaks on my new grill...if I can ever get it seasoned correctly!

9 comments:

Lin said...

It's one of those things that it is going to take a few batches before it is really seasoned. When you clean it, just wipe the food off. Or give it a quick dunking in soapy water--but don't scrub.

Sally said...

Well, the eggs look really good. Now, I'm going to cook some!

I agree with Lin - not that I'm a cook or anything. I've got 15 bean soup in the crock pot this morning. Didn't have any ham or bacon to season so I substituted instead of 8 cups water, I used 4 cups beef broth. Yes, it is so expensive to eat out anymore! :)

xoxo

Jeanette said...

Been meaning to get one of those! I have honey garlic chicken thighs in the crock pot right now. They smell so good! We only eat out on Fridays usually and for special occasions, and I use coupons whenever I can! It sure is expensive to eat out anymore!

Ann said...

I have a set of cast iron skillets that my son bought me several years ago and I've never used them. I should probably season them and try them out. There used to be a really nice cast iron skillet here that got used all the time but my ex took it with him when he moved out

Michelle said...

Lin is right, it will take a few cooking sessions to get it seasoned well. Just wipe it off while it is still a bit hot, to clean it. No soap, just rinse off. Best advice I have received for the care of cast iron.

Anvilcloud said...

That's the way Sue would like her breakfast cooked, especially the eggs. Speaking of breakfast, it's the cheapest meal to eat out, so that what we do mostly. Still, up here it's $20 with the top for the regular bacon, egg, hash browns, toast and coffee special.

Jenny said...

I can't help with the grill as I rarely use my great big old cast iron skillet. It's just so heavy and honestly, anymore I do most of my cooking in either a crock pot or the oven. TG and I like to go out but we go in spells. Mostly we enjoy simple cooking at home. Your culinary lineup for the week sounds scrumptious and you'll be eating better than the folks sitting in the restaurants. xoxo

Out on the prairie said...

Think it is hard to get them cured, just keep cooking.

Judy said...

I just use my big electric griddle. I grew up in the era of iron skillets and the like and watched the women in my family sigh with relief when aluminum pans came along and then Teflon and they could throw out the heavy iron ones.