Thursday, November 3, 2022

On Being a GreatGrandParent and Health....

Age can really take a bite out of your daily plans... What you think you can do and what you really can do are two very different propositions.  I'm sitting with my Great-granddaughter all week long... every week... some days being shorter than others.  My mind and heart say yes but, the old body says...you might need to rethink things a bit.  My knees are fine (thank God), I walk although not as much as I'd like.  At 71, your body is still pretty solid...mechanically speaking.  Needless to say, there's no marathons planned in my future.  Yes, Larry and I are confined to the house, pretty much.  But Sloane is so special...your young heart is in direct competition with your aging body... we are in love.  Getting older sucks...

Samantha (my Granddaughter and mom of baby Sloane) is trying to get Sloane into a fancy daycare located just down the street from her work.  The waiting list is long.  (She and her hubby live 35 minutes south of town so for her, that would cut about 35 minutes of travel time cut if she can get her a placement.  Getting up at the crack of dawn and getting home at seven or later is not good especially for a wife and new mom...Her hubby helps out, but he works out of town and can't always be there for them.)    $342 a friggin' week!!  Transparent communication...I'm not sure what all that entails but for the money, it better be gold wrapped!  I want to keep her...but Sami says I can get her anytime I want.  We can do unannounced visits as well. We'll see.    

Anyway, all that to say this...If you're in fairly good health, do all you can to get better!  Walk, then walk some more.  Get a pedometer to see how many steps you're actually doing a day.  I used to be able to do 10,000  to 18,000 at least three to four times a week.  Now?  I'm lucky to get in 3,000.  You don't need to jog...or go to the gym.  Just Get Up off the sofa or chair and start!  Create a path in your house...I walk around the sofa then walk into the living room and back again.  You don't have to walk outdoors!

Okay...I'm through nagging.  We all are here on Earth for different reasons and not all things can be cured or changed.  But...I firmly believe...If you do nothing...Nothing will change!

There are two cookie recipes located at the bottom of this post...A sweet friend requested them.  Check them out...you might want to make them for Thanksgiving!

So, enjoy your day...do what you can...be safe...oh, and get off your butts and Go Vote!  This election either makes or breaks our nation!

Hugs from Donna



Sloane...most days 💕


Milk drunk...lol 💕


Not a care in the world... 💕


Samantha and Sloane 💕


Contemplating life... 💕


Banana Pudding Cookies Recipe

Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

Enjoy!


16 comments:

Bill said...

Your great granddaughter is adorable. I agree with what you say, you got to get up and move around just to stay fit and if you don't, you pay the price. Take care and have a wonderful day.

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh, I know what you mean.....I watched little Mia for about 8 months, and it was only once a week, but at the end of the day I was pooped. But it was wonderful and got to spend special moments with her that I'll never forget. Sloane is such a sweet baby girl. I can't believe how much daycares and preschools cost these days. It makes me think how fortunate I was to stay home with the little ones. That's a sweet picture of Samantha and Sloane. Hang in there, and do what you can. That's all anyone can ask. It's not easy getting older.

~Sheri

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

I know how you feel, Donna. I do exercise five days a week, but caring for young ones, is a lot of work. Baby Sloane is just precious and I know you love her to pieces. Hopefully Samantha can get her into the daycare. I’ll be checking out your cookie recipes. Happy November and thank you for your visits.

Mari said...

Sloane is so beautiful!
Good advice - I can tell it on myself and have been trying to walk more.
Thanks for the recipes!

Margaret D said...

Gorgeous little one.
You are just a chicken in age you know :) Yes, to keep moving, walking inside the house or outside which I do a little of both.
Here the young mums as soon as they are pregnant or near enough they book their little ones into day care..

Ann said...

Sloane is adorable. That is a really long day for Samantha.
I hear you on the aging thing.

Jeanette said...

Sloane is absolutely precious an adorable! I know as much as you love watching her I think every day would be too much for you once she gets mobile! But at least you would get your 10,000 steps and then some! I don't envy a young working mother. It's a tough job! But then Shauna is a stay-at-home mom and that's not easy either! I walk every day for at least 30 minutes. I just keep telling myself if I keep active I'll stay active! XO

Computer Tutor said...

I was whining about the same thing this morning, sans the great grandchild. I remember when my mom at 71 with terminal cancer used to babysit occasionally for my two kids. I was a little appalled to find she had to take a nap at times, after making sure the kids were safe. Now, at 71 myself, I so understand that--and I don't have cancer!

Linda said...

Oh, Donna!!! I have followed you over here from your comment on my blog - for which I thank you! I am a follower here but I need to look for you so I can visit more. You have been so sweet to me and such a comfort to my heart! Tomorrow is Nita's Celebration of Life and I am nervous and excited at the same time. It's been a tough year and I lost myself along the way but am feeling better now....although today has been rough - and yesterday. I hope you know what a blessing you are.....

Sandra Cox said...

Is Sloane not the cutest little thing.
I too have slowed way down on my walking and am averaging about what you do:) I can tell a difference if I skip one day. Ack.
Those cookies look divine.

sparklingmerlot said...

What an adorable wee thing. You are very young to be a great-grandmother!
I have printed off the brown butter recipe and will give them a go.

Lee said...

What a beautiful little darling, Sloane is! She is adorable, indeed...and so very easy to love. :)

Age!! Tell me about it! I'm turning 78 on Friday! I'm still in shock!!!! lol


Take good care, Donna. Give the sweet cherub a cuddle for me. :)

Angelsdoor * Penny said...

I am so sorry it took me so long to get here. I had family visiting.
Yes, I too know how challenging it is to watch a little one. Slone is so adorable!!!
You take care, and thank you so much for your kind comment on Malificent.
I truly appreciate you taking time out to visit.
blessings,
Penny

Lowcarb team member said...

Your great granddaughter is adorable, lovely photographs.

Yes, I agree ... keep moving :)

All the best Jan.

Jenny the Pirate said...

Thank you dear Donna for the recipes, and thanks for letting me know that you'd posted them. I have copied them and can't wait to try! My family will go nuts over these! Baby Sloane is precious. I'd better keep my mouth shut on the subject of daycare, haaaha! xoxo

Sally said...

I'm sort of stuck on the daycare price. Lawsy!

And, now you had to mention walking. huh we'll see :)

Sloane is actually one of prettiest babies I've seen. Hopefully though, the daycare will become available before she starts walking. That's a job right there trying to keep up.

xoxo