Monday, January 2, 2023

You Just Never Know...


My best friend of 48 years...




GWENDOLYN STREETER OBITUARY

Gwendolyn Ann Streeter (Viken)

Sept. 30, 1948 - Dec. 25, 2022

On Christmas morning, Sunday December 25, 2022, Gwendolyn (Gwen) Ann Streeter gained her angel wings and was reunited with her family that preceded her in death.

It was Alzheimer's that took her from us Christmas Day.


Gwen, in happier times. (dark hair)


And now...on to my sister...



My older sister, Ruth Ann about this time, last year.


Back in 1962, Easter Sunday...St. Ann's Catholic Church, Rosebud Texas.  Ruth Ann is on the far left, Mom, Dad then me.




Then...Larry and I rush my older sister Ruth Ann, to the emergency room Monday, two weeks ago, only to find out she has stage 

3-B Adenocarcinoma of the colon.  

Ruth Ann is going to be 76, February 15th.


I had been begging her to get her colonoscopy for years.  All to no avail.  I'd constantly get the same old tired excuses...


It's none of your business

I will when I get time

Maybe next year

Are You my keeper?

I feel fine

Just stop!

I'll take care of it

Leave me alone

Just stop...just stop


Now she has maybe...3 to 5 years tops?  And this crap has a tendency to come back 2 years after chemo...with a vengeance.

So...we begin.  Her first appointment with the Oncologist will be on the 11th of January.

Her doctor said they will treat her...tolerably...as in, not aggressively.  Hey!  She's elderly!  No longer that 55 year old woman!  

Tolerably.

I'm pissed...At her, at me, for not pushing her harder.


I'm BEGGING you...If you haven't had your colonoscopy yet, GO GET ONE!!!

It starts out slowly.  It's called the "silent killer" for a reason.  One polyp can turn into ten...They need to be removed.  If they are removed, you get to live to a ripe old age...If not?  Your life becomes a nightmare.

JUST DO IT!!


I pray 2023 is better than 2022.  I lost too many that were dear to my heart.  I need to believe...

 

18 comments:

Bill said...

So sorry for your friend's loss.

Ann said...

Far too much sadness for the holiday. Hugs to you dear friend and prayers for your sister.

Mari said...

I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend and for the new diagnosis for your sister.
I just got a letter that I need to schedule my colonoscopy, and I better do it!

Lin said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry! I'm sorry that you lost your dear friend...and in such a hard way. And now your sister's diagnosis! I'm like you--don't understand putting off the colonoscopy. It's so easy, but for some people...they can't/won't be bothered. Ugh. It's just maddening. I pray that your sister does well with treatment. Yikes. Crummy way to start the New Year. I'm sorry, Donna.

Red Rose Alley said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your dear friend of 48 years. And also, your sister's illness, that's awful. I hope she gets good treatment and care. That is a treasured photo of you and your sister and mom and dad. I'm sorry you are going through this right now. Thinking of you tonight, and sending thoughts of comfort and love.

~Sheri

Chatty Crone said...

I am sorry you lost your best friend - I lost mine to Covid.
You are right - the sooner you get colon cancer detected the better off you will be.

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

Awww Donna, I’m so very sorry about your dear friend. It’s so hard to lose our best friends. I’m also sad about your sister. Thankfully You’ll be there for her. I loved seeing the pictures. God bless you.

Lowcarb team member said...

I am so sorry to read about the loss of your friend and for the new diagnosis for your sister.
Thinking of you and sending my good wishes.

All the best Jan

Sandra Cox said...

I'm so sorry, Donna.
My doc is a big believer in colonoscopies. Like you, he says that's one cancer we can prevent by testing.
Big hugs. Thinking of you.

Jeanette said...

Oh I'm so sorry, buddy for the loss of your friend and your sisters diagnosis! How sad that it's something that could have been caught a lot sooner. Hugs!!

Sally said...

Oh goodness, Donna.

My heart breaks for you, losing a longtime friend is so hard. :(

Your sister, now that's not good at all. My prayers are with her and you all. Is this the kind that hasn't spread? If not, could they remove her colon. Just saying. You know, Patti had hers removed several years ago. Not pleasant, but she's still here.

My prayers for you, my sweet friend.
xoxo

Latane Barton said...

Donna, saw that you had been on my blog Accidently Aging and had to take a peek at yours. And, I liked it! Am following you now. Thank you for stopping by.

This N That said...

Sorry for your loss and sorry to hear about your sister. Your sister was just in denial and scared. She didn’t want to find out. Hope she does well with her treatments. Thanks for visiting my blog.

Linda said...

Prayers for your sister.....
It will be easy to remember her name since I have a dearly loved Ruth Ann of my own.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Oh my you have had some stress. So sorry for the loss of your friend. Good friends are hard to find! I hope treatments go ok for your sister. Cologuard is a good option for people who don't want to do the Colonoscopy. :)

Sandra Cox said...

I hope you are doing well. You've had a lot to deal with lately.
Hugs

Jenny the Pirate said...

Oh Donna I am so sorry. That's the worst part of getting older ... everyone starts to die off! It's easy to get depressed about it. As for your poor sister, you just can't push anyone to do anything they don't want to do. And we can pick our nonsense but we cannot pick the consequences! But I'm so sorry that both you and she are facing this trial. BTW I remember Easter of 1962 like it was yesterday. We lived in Chicago and there was a snowstorm! It's the only one of two Easters I remember from my entire childhood. We have a few pictures but most of the memories are in my heart. xoxo

Anonymous said...

And I am JUST DOING IT myself, now. I have put off colonoscopy twice, and am now 65. I have been doing stool tests (cologuard, etc) through the years.
Well, my recent cologuard come back to my primary doc, positive. I got the call yesterday from my primary and that would be referring me for colonoscopy. So I got the call this morning with the group that will be doing it and go for that consultation appt Mar 7th and then will have the colonoscopy scheduled. And hoping I didn't wait too long either.... I just made the commitement Wed Feb 15th to buy my very 1st brand new, only 9 miles on the odometer, car; a 2023 Kia Soul. I still work full time and plan (or hope to) for the next 7-10 years, god willing) as now I need to work until I pay off this car ! Guess if the news is not good, the car will end up being repo'd !!! Wish me luck... Dawn P. Albany, GA