Monday, June 29, 2026

Quilts and Food...and Babies.


Good morning, friends... Well, I'm behind on my blogging, once again!  Geez, time is just rushing by!
I've just been babysitting great grands and trying to get two quilts finish for our grandsons in the military.  Blogging just had to take a back seat.  I've got the last one at the long armers and hopefully, I'll get it binded and ship both quilts out at the same time.



Lottie and Sloane love that Blue dog...



Sloane posing for me...lol



Then...my flower garden has really taken off with all the rain we've gotten!  I love Vinca...


I throw vegetable peelings and tomato pieces into my flower beds...banana peels are great fertilizer!  Anyway...this cherry tomato plant is growing and putting off fruit!  I've already gotten five tomatoes! lol...just because I threw away the peelings.









The reason I'm babysitting the girlz for Samantha...she's also taking a Taichi class along with her daughter, Sloane.  Her husband is working out of town on a construction job and can't help watching the babies.  She's good at it, too!  And so is little Sloane!


New quilt alert...lol
Yes, I can do 12 things at once...


First quilt is for grandson, Tylar.  He's a Master Sergeant in the Air Force.  I'm waiting for William's quilt to get back from the longarmer.  Will is a Staff Sergeant in the AF.














Pivovar Hotel in the downtown area.  Czech-inspired boutique hotel...whatever in the world that means...


But we do know their beer vats are pretty big... (we haven't had a beer in years, didn't this time, either.) Nothing wrong with enjoying a cold brew on the occasion...


The Schnitzel was really good...lemony and crisp.  Not $62 dollars lemony and crisp...just saying.  Larry misread the ad... he said it was supposed to be buy one meal...half off on the other one.  Ahh, nope.
It's okay though...no harm done... It was a good meal, but we won't be going back.  I could have made this at home for less than $15 bucks. 


Like this chocolate peach and strawberry smoothie!  What would this have cost at one of those fancy drive-through's?  $10?  $12?
It was delicious...

Or this lemon and powdered sugar with bacon (German style) French toast breakfast?  How much would this cost?  $20??


This chicken and waffle was $15...


and this fried catfish plate with shrimp was $18... I think I could have made any of these plates for far less...so...why didn't I... Well...I suppose it's called convenience... maybe, an after-church date.... getting out of the house...wanting to quilt instead of cook...lol...I just know what's not worth going back to (restaurant) and what can be made at home.  Larry enjoys going out so...being an obedient wife...I follow... (What? lolol)






Air fryer chicken thighs...always good.
Well friends, guess I end things here...
Just figured I needed to let you know all is well here.
Stay safe and be happy!
Until next time...

33 comments:

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

Your quilts look wonderful, Donna — such meaningful projects for your grandsons. And those great grands are growing so fast! I always enjoy your mix of sewing, family, and everyday life. Thanks for sharing your world with us.

Wanda said...

Hi Donna, So glad to be able to visit. Lots of problems around here with my computer dying and losing my dashboard. Still not happy with the blog looks, but I'm getting used to my new computer which is wonderful. But, back to your blog, which is always so beautiful. Love your talents and the quilts, and of course drool over your Food Court. Glad to be back in BlogLand. Have a lovely week.

photowannabe said...

I really, really, really love going out to eat ... but the pocketbook just won't allow it too much any more. The cost of everything in our California out of sight cost of living makes it almost impossible.
Those quilts are masterpieces. They will be cherished and loved for many years to come.
Nice to see you back on the blog.
Sue

Linda said...

I'm also an obident wife lol. Just today we went to Capt, D's, nice to see you, Donna. Thanks for the smiles.

Prims By The Water said...

Ooh I so love that patriotic quilt. Great job! The kiddos are so sweet. Thanks for reminding me I have to add some banana peels to my one shrub. We are under an extreme heat wave warning now for the rest of the week, so will need to water my annuals more so they wont die on me. Janice

Ann said...

You always make me hungry when I visit. Everything looks delicious. I hate paying the price for going out to eat though.
Sloane looks so cute in her watermelon dress.
Love that quilt for your grandson

Granny Marigold said...

I agree that making food at home ends up a lot less expensive. Also, one of my sons worked in a restaurant when he was younger and the stories he told me made me very happy to eat at home!

The quilts you made for your grandsons look wonderful!! I'm sure they will love them.

Chatty Crone said...

I love your quilts - I am quilt crazy. I know how much work and love go into them. Your food looks great. Sloane is so big now I can't believe it.

Margaret D said...

How I love your quilts, beautiful and well done, Donna.
The girls enjoying the TV, lovely and all good photos.
The price of The Schnitzel, oh well! Eating out gives you a rest from cooking.
Take care.

Bill said...

Your quilts look absolutely beautiful. The girls attention is captured by the scene on the tv. I remember those days when my daughter was small. All the food makes me hungry, time for lunch. :) Have a nice new week. Can't believe this is it for June. Take care.

Lin said...

Love the quilts! It's a good time of year for hunkering inside, staying cool and quilting! I ditched one I was annoyed with and started two snowflake quilts for Christmas gifts. I'm channeling the cold any way I can!

Jeanette said...

Those quilts are gorgeous! It's expensive to eat out in restaurants these days! XO

Katie S. said...

Your granddaughters are so adorable. I love watching my grandkids whenever I get the chance.

Anonymous said...

Hope your grandsons are close to ending their military tours...if so, tell them not to re-inlist. The Pentagon and IDF are working on plans for a big ground war in Iran, most likely right after the midterm election. These "negotiations" are a smokescreen, they're going full neocon war and most of the voters are unaware. Your grandsons shouldn't risk their lives for bankers, the weapons industry and Zionists.

Lowcarb team member said...

Always a pleasure to see pictures of Sloane and Lottie.
Great food court pictures.
Your quilts look wonderful.

Good wishes for this new month of July.

All the best Jan

acorn hollow said...

You certainly have been busy. Love the quilts so beautiful.
Happy 4th
Cathy

Pattie Tierney said...

Those quilts are stunning! I particularly love the patriotic one. I'm fascinated as to how it was quilted, are words quilted into it? Happy Fourth of July. Donna.

Billie Jo said...

Hello! Those quilts are beautiful!!! Happy Fourth of July!

Visits With Mary said...

Sloane is growing too fast!!! There's just something about quilts, they wrap you in so much love, your grandson will certainly feel that love!!!!

Sandra Cox said...

The quilts are marvelous. The kiddos are darling. The food looks delish.And sometimes you just need to take a break from the kitchen and just treat yourselves:) Happy 4th. Hugs

MadSnapper n Beau said...

Your babies are so beautiful and look so happy watching that dog show... Its great you are available to keep the girls for your granddaughter... My mother used to come to my house to keep by two bad little boys, 2 years apart. Daddy did not like her keeping them at their house because they might break something, even though they never did and if they did there was nothing there that would matter..
All the food looks wonderful but not THAT wonderful. I know why the eat out is so expensvive now because I pay 9 dollar a pound for burger. that 2 years ago was 4 dollars. thank you for the beautiful card. Hugs and love coming your way

The Happy Whisk said...

Nice that you went out and it's understandable given how busy your days have been as of late. Hubby and I are taking some of the money we've now saved from not eating out and putting it in other areas. That's fun too. But I do get that some folks like to go out. For sure.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Your quilts are so pretty! How wonderful that you are making them for your Grandsons in the Air Force!

NanaDiana said...

OMGOSH, Donna. Those quilts are just fantastic. I made a couple when my kids were babies but haven't made one since. Yours are a work of art. That little Sloan is adorable with her pose! It's wonderful you can enjoy those babies. I agree on the food and the cost of eating out versus home prep---but---sometimes---it is just worth it! Happy after 4th week. xo Diana

Jennyff said...

Looks like your summer is ticking along nicely. It’s lovely you send quilts to the grandsons, I am sure they treasure them. x

Sandra Cox said...

Your flower garden is beautiful. Love the chloroform meme. Heh.
Hugs,

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Your little grandchildren are so sweet! Your flower garden is breath taking and so lovely as well as those red tomatoes! The chicken quilt is so pretty and the patriotic quilt for your grandson is wonderful. A big thank you to him for his service. Your food photos always look so delicious!

Michelle said...

All of this food looks so good and your flowers.....wow! Just beautiful!

Barwitzki said...

It’s fantastic that you’re already harvesting tomatoes... mine are looking wonderful, but they’re all still small and green... and I’m looking forward to them.
Taichi is simply wonderful ;-))
A magnificent quilt for your grandson Tylar!!!
Best regards.

Debbie Nolan said...

Donna absolutely adore your quilts...what keepsakes they will be for your grandsons. I can see why you have been busy. Sloane is certainly getting tall. Yes, I agree one can certainly cook for much less but it is nice to go out once and awhile for a treat. Your food looks excellent. Had to smile about your cherry tomato...I have several volunteers because I throw out my veggie scraps on the garden...make banana tea for my plants too. Who says you have to buy expensive fertilizer... God provides so many natural things than are better for our earth. Well Donna have a great July. Hugs!

Red Rose Alley said...

That Bluey photo is priceless. I can't tell you how many times I watched Bluey with the kids on my last trip. Lottie seems to like it too! Love Sloane's watermelon dress. Watermelon things are really in right now. I bought a watermelon pouch for Charlotte. Your flowers are growing beautifully, and your cherry tomatoes look nice and ripe. Your grandson will love that quilt that you spent so much time making. Always enjoy seeing all the food on your posts. And I like powdered sugar instead of syrup on my pancakes and French toast too! Have a wonderful July week, Donna.

Back2OurSmallCorner said...

I do really love your quilts, and they are extra special with the message you add to the corner. These quilts will be treasured by those who receive them and for future generations. Just beautiful.
Could you send some of that rain over here please, Donna. It's been a little hot here lately.
Gorgeous photos of the girls and such a pretty dress Sloane is wearing.
Enjoy the rest of your week x

DeniseinVA said...

A busy but looks like a great week you had there. Beautiful quilts for your grandsons and you must be so proud of them. Please give them a big thank you for their service from me. Lovely to see your sweet family. My all that food looks great! Thanks for the interesting tips on what you throw into your garden for fertilizer. I hope the rest of your week is great.