Sunday, August 27, 2023

Fall, Family, Food and Fun?



 Fall's not arriving until September 23rd.  I'm so tired of waiting!  The yard is once again patchy and burnt...no matter how much we water.  It just can't take the constant heat that lays on it like a blanket.  My Foxtail fern is holding its own though and so is the white jasmine and bougainvillea.  Interesting!  I'll plant more of those in future. 

 


Taking a breather from the heat, daughter Crystal came up for a visit to see her daughter, Sam and grandbaby, Sloane.  We all went shopping at Hobby Lobby and then to lunch at Schmaltz Sandwich Shop. 





While at Hobby Lobby, Sami found these cute little spoons.  I thought how cute, and they are small enough to feed baby Sloane with!  I'll try one out on Monday when I keep her.!



Sloane...the perfect shopper!  



Here's the sandwich we had...My word they're one great sandwich!  Cook them up fresh for you.  




Sloane certainly enjoyed herself and flirted with the customers.  She was a big hit.




I knew this trick but never have a popsicle stick hanging around to try it! 




I took Hubby out for breakfast at our local cafe.  Most times we've gone, it's been really good...but not yesterday.  The gravy was salty and had a "mix" flavor.  I liked the bacon, but Larry did not.  Even the coffee tasted...off.  Guess it might have been a different cook?  No clue.  Eating out is a luxury these days.  I'm no longer willing to shell out $25 plus $4 tip.
Almost $30 bucks for what you see in above photo...In the future we'll be going to tried and true restaurants for our, "get out of the house" trips.




The Robinson Cafe...We like their hamburgers though...if that hasn't changed as well?!




I made Lemon & Garlic Spaghetti last week...turned out great!




Now, onto the Fun part of the post.  Did I say Fun?  I exaggerate... It is a nightmare for this old woman to learn!  Give me a wound to sew up...or an injection to give but this...Cricut hobby is getting my "goat"!  I even bought all the correct tools for it...like the iron in the above photo (the Cricut Maker itself was a, "because you need something to do that will drive you insane" gift, from Hubby...Well, it is certainly doing that!
And don't think I'm not grateful for his thoughtfulness...I am.  SO, I'll keep trying to create fantastical things with it...if I ever learn it.  I've tried Youtube and am still trying to find someone who understands that not all learners are 25 and... perky.



Cricut Maker 3

   


I did create this little bodysuit for Sloane...however, if it falls apart in the wash...well let's hope it doesn't!


I think Hubby can still run...lolol




One morning last week, we got up and that old dilemma of, "what to fix for breakfast", hit me.  Eggs, bacon and bread for toast were sitting on the counter, staring at me, so I just threw them all together into a sandwich!  We really enjoyed the change! 






We went to a Mexican restaurant here in town that we really enjoyed.  It was new to us, so we stopped in for lunch.  Money well spent.  $35 plus $5 dollar tip.  That's a bit expensive but it was a lot of food. 


My Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas 

(needed more sauce)



Larry's Chicken Enchiladas Verde 

Well, I suppose I'll end things here.  Our week was basically quiet...although I did have a dental cleaning appointment.  I don't mind those...makes your mouth feel so clean...yes, I'm weird.  
So, until next time, make good choices...be kind to each other...and


18 comments:

Linda said...

I fully understand about the restaurants, sometimes it's a hit and miss here too. UGHHHHHHH I wanted to scream at all the stores yesterday and their fall stuff, people it's a billion degrees here in Florida, lol.

ANYWAYS, nice catching up with you. Always makes me smile. Have a great day friend.

Catherine said...

Sloane is a good shopper, so is Maxime it is so hot that their outings are «  inside the Dubai Mall »! More than a hundred shops… I love thé T shirt you made very pretty. It is also difficult to find a good restaurant here too! The prices are going up and the food going down! 😆
I wish you a nice week with cooler weather and rain for your garden!

photowannabe said...

Boy, do I understand the prices going up in the restaurants. I really hate spending that kind of money and getting inferior and smaller portions. It has finally kept us away from some of our tried and true places that are no longer that great.
I agree be kind to each other try a smile now and then.
Sue

Bill said...

We hardly ever eat out these days, maybe a takeaway once in a while. I find restaurant food not so yummy as the food we have at home. Don't want to waste money on food that is not delicious. Great photos and narrative, have a wonderful week.

Wanda said...

Hi Donna. I've missed some of your posts. Glad to be back. Love your time with your girls. Fun kind of shopping. Hobby Lobby!! Cute pumpkin spoons.

You are very creative and the little bodysuit is adorable.

I always get ideas from your menus and eating out. I haven't made sourcream chicken enchiladas in a long time, and we love them.

Those plates of food look really good.

Wow, I have done a few of the crock pot dinners, but got a few more ideas.

Now that I have no restrictions after my eye surgery.....I will dig though the storage unit and find my Fall Decor.

Have a nice day!! Hugs.

Granny Marigold said...

Cute body suit you created for Sloane ( who is looking as darling as ever).
I've never really liked eating out. Expensive and often disappointing.
My DIL had a Cricut and helped me make some projects ( really she did the work and I stood and watched her). I hope you can figure the thing out.

Margaret D said...

The Enchiladas are looking ok, we have them here at home.
Lunch out can be expensive but of course it depends where you go, well it does down here.
That T-shirts is sweet so hoping it doesn't fall to pieces, be a shame if it did.
Always good to have a behaved little one when shopping.
Take care.

Ann said...

So glad you had a fun day out with Crystal, Sam and Sloane. No shopping trip with my daughter is complete without a trip to Hobby Lobby.
I've noticed that even though a restaurant may have the same menu, it really does depend on the cook. We've gone to one location and it was great and another location was horrible.
You did great on the bodysuit for Sloane. It looks fantastic. I don't do much with iron on vinyl. I've only made a couple projects with it. I'm more of a paper and regular vinyl kind of crafter.

Lin said...

We don't eat out much because of my Celiac, but it has turned us into food "snobs" now. It's hard to find GOOD food anymore. Looks like fun at Hobby Lobby!

Polyester Princess said...

I can't wait for fall - or autumn as we say - either: it's my favourite season! I can't believe there's so much pumpkin related stuff in the shops already - it's the same here! Those spoons are cute though.
Not surprised at all that little charmer Sloane was such a big hit with the other customers!
I didn't know the strawberry trick so will make use of it when I can get hold of a popsicle stick :-)
I hadn't heard of a Cricut Maker, either. I had to look this one up! xxx

Sandra Cox said...

I'm not familiar with Cricut Makers. Though Sloane's onesie(?) looks awfully cute. As are those little spoons.
Hugs

Red Rose Alley said...

Isn't Hobby Lobby the best? When I went there with Nel in So Cal, I was in awe looking around at everything! We don't have one here in the mountains. I ALWAYS buy something. Sloane looks so cute just sitting there in the cart browsing. That picture of the store with all the orange pumpkins made my heart sing. I know what you mean about eating out - it can add up with drinks and tip. But your Mexican food looks really good, especially the sour cream chicken enchiladas. Ernest T. Bass quote made me chuckle. You know, Andy Griffith is still one of my favorite shows. The onesie you made Sloane is darling. I hope it holds up in the wash. And also, I have to mention that your lemon and garlic spaghetti looks amazing.

A delightful post today. Have a great week, Donna.

~Sheri

Jennifer said...

Those spoons are super cute. Might need to browse Hobby Lobby again soon:) You did a great job with your Cricut! I truly think I am too old to learn a new trick that big/complicated!!

Jeanette said...

Yes, eating out is ridiculously expensive. Good thing is most restaurants have big enough portions to eat half and then save half for lunch or dinner the next day! Sloane is a cutie and I love the shirt you made for her! XO

Jenny the Pirate said...

Eating out has become a true luxury, but we still do it from time to time. The kinds of cooks you and Larry are, though, you must really need an outing to eat out instead of at home! I could NEVER learn to use a Cricut. The very idea makes me feel ill ... haha xoxo

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

That bodysuit is just darling. I am SOOOO tempted by the Cricut, but I also find it intimidating.

Debbie Nolan said...

Donna what fun - "Hobby Lobby". My mom and I would treat ourselves to a visit there every once and awhile. We always had such fun. Now that she is gone have not been back. Seeing your spoons for Sloane and her visit to a restaurant made me smile. What a charmer!!
As always your funnies make me laugh! Get what you mean about eating out...definitely too expensive for the food to not be good. Do you think it is the quality or are our taste buds changing as we grow mature :)?? Have a delightful holiday weekend - Hugs! P.S. I would be mentally challenged with that cricut machine too. There again, perhaps it is not us but the fact that the younger generation is trying to keep us on our toes with all this modern technology!!

DeniseinVA said...

Hello Donna, those sunflowers are gorgeous, always loved this flower. It just heralds Fall. How lovely to go shopping with your family. Sloane looks like she is taking it all in. All yummy food and yes who knew, great tip on the strawberry hulling. My niece just bought one of those Cricut machines to use in her classroom for creative projects. Even with all the frustration you made a very cute design on Sloane’s bodysuit. Thanks for another enjoyable post.