Thursday, January 18, 2024

Pecking Order...Pie, Gumbo and Badlands.


Good Morning, Friends...
The weeks are really buzzing by!   I keep hoping for slow days, but I never seem to get any.  It's been cold here with ice to contend with for several days.  I will have my eye surgery this coming Monday and it's supposed to be 80% chance of rain...no matter.  As long as temps don't dip into the freezing zone, we'll be fine.





Crystal (our daughter and Sloane's grandma, Lolli) sent me this photo of Sloane setting the "pecking order" with Critter, the cat.  They pretty well stay clear of one another but sometimes...Sloane feels the need to reinforce things...lol...she was promptly instructed to keep relations civil!




Moving on... I finally heard the call from hubby Larry, to get into the kitchen and make him a chocolate pie!  Of all days, the humidity was awful...cold and icy outside.  Meringues hate humidity so...mine fell flat.  He said it tasted great so not to worry...he'd suffer through, somehow. lol







For lunch yesterday I thawed some homemade chicken and shrimp gumbo poured over rice.  Tasted even better on a cold day.  We always make a huge pot of gumbo in the Fall and freeze it in quart sized Ziplocs.  It's nice not to have to create gumbo every time we want some.  Just thaw and heat.  I do this for soups and stews...chili and pasta sauce.  Saves so much time!


 
This is a dogfood that is being touted as a wonder food by Katherine Heigl, for your pets.  I watched the video and tended to agree!  The stuff they add to regular dogfood is scandalous.  Expensive but I think worth it.  There's another one called, Sunday for dogs that I might go ahead and order when the Badlands sack runs out.  You get twice as much for the money, same ingredients.  I saw it too late...had already ordered Badlands.  I'll let you know if Buddy and Libby like it. Or...go check it out for yourself.








This isn't or wasn't my tree or anyone's tree that I know.  I just saw it on the internet and liked it!  Don't know if I could manage to decorate ours like that but I'd love to try next year.


Well, this is a short post today only because I really didn't do anything this week.  (Aren't you the lucky ones! Lol) 
Hope you all are staying warm or cool wherever you are!
So until next time...


23 comments:

Jeanette said...

That meringue pie looks fine to me! Sloan is a cutie sticking her tongue out at the kitty! Stay warm buddy and good luck with your surgery on Monday!

Jenny the Pirate said...

I can't afford either the Badlands or the Sundays food for Rizzo and I JUST bought a big bag of Pedigree yesterday, but I think when that runs out I may spring for the Royal Canin Small Adult 8+ (because he's just about eight years old as far as I can tell). It's pricey but I would like to feed him better -- although he insists on green beans every day at three o'clock, hahaha! Your pie looks great to me and I'd love to sit at your table and enjoy a slice ... after a bowlful of that gumbo! Love you friend. I need to get in touch so watch for an email! xoxo

Ann said...

That picture with Sloane is too funny.
I think your pie looks delicious. I would eat that no problem.

Mari said...

Your kitchen is putting out some good looking stuff!
The picture of Sloan is adorable. Glad she's keeping things in line over there.
We have no dogs, so I don't need to worry about food. :)
Praying your surgery goes well.

Red Rose Alley said...

Your chocolate pie looks amazing. And the chicken and shrimp gumbo looks delicious also. My son make jambalaya sometimes, and it's eaten in a couple days, so we can't freeze any, but that's a good idea you freeze the gumbo you make in the Fall. A cute picture of Sloane. She looks sassy here and letting the cat know who's in charge haha. I like that tree all decorated - looks so pretty with the red and gold.

Have a splendid rest of the week, Donna.

~Sheri

dori said...

O yes,dear Donna, the time is running! It's nearly not possible to find quiet and slowly days. To have a quiet suul is better :)

Best wishes for your eye-surgery next week!

A smile for Sloane with the strong cat! :)

Greetings and blessings to you all! Christmas will come and is always in our hearts..

dori said...

O ja, liebe Donna, die Zeit rennt! Es ist fast unmöglich, ruhige und langsame Tage zu finden. Eine ruhige Seele zu haben ist besser :)

Die besten Wünsche für Ihre Augenoperation nächste Woche!

Ein Lächeln für Sloane mit der starken Katze! :) :)

Grüße und Segen euch allen! Weihnachten wird kommen und ist immer in unseren Herzen..

dori said...

Excuse me for my mistake: I mean QUIET SOUL!

Margaret D said...

That pie looks delicious.
Good luck with the surgery.

Polyester Princess said...

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who's been feeling that time has been speeding by lately. And you're not the only one who hasn't done anything much this week. Although I do think attempting to make a meringue in humid weather conditions does count for something :-)
Your chicken and shrimp gumbo looks absolutely delicious and is making me crave my lunch!
Good luck with your eye surgery, I'll be keeping you in my thoughts on Monday! xxx

ashok said...

Sweet little one.
Your pie looks yummy

Lin said...

We've been keeping warm with hearty foods too. It's so nice, but I hate to eat like that all the time. Guess I have to go back to the grilled fish as soon as the thaw hits. Stay warm and good luck with the surgery! Prayers that it all goes well!

DeniseinVA said...

Hello Donna, you’ve had another busy week. I’ll be thinking of you on Monday. Snow and ice here so taking it carefully. Another adorable photo of Sloane. Such a cute photo of her in a discussion with the kitty. The chocolate pie looks incredible. That’s a flat meringue? This looks perfect but I haven’t made a meringue in years so am no expert. Yes, I bet Larry suffered, lol! Lucky man to also have a homemade chicken and shrimp gumbo with rice. Anything I can put in the freezer for another day is A-plus with me. Nothing better than to take a meal out of the freezer for a no-fuss dinner. If I had a fur-baby I would buy this dog food. I’ve seen her advertisements. Cute kitty funny and that is a pretty tree. Thanks for another enjoyable post and sending hugs.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

You are killing me with that pie and gumbo. They both look delicious. I really miss when someone used to cook for me.

Lowcarb team member said...

I hope your surgery goes well on Monday.
Your meringue pie looks good and I'm sure it tasted great.
The photograph of Sloane sticking her tongue out at the cat made me smile.

Sending my good wishes.

All the best Jan

photowannabe said...

Awww Sloane is such a cutie...I love her keeping the kitty in line.
Oh my your gumbo and pie look divine. It sure doesn't look flat to me.
Praying your surgery goes well and everything will be brighter and more in focus.
Stay warm and dry and yes, time is flying by.
Sue

Back2OurSmallCorner said...

Hello Donna. I hope the surgery has gone well. You are in my prayers.
That chocolate pie looks delicious no wonder Larry enjoyed it.

Wanda said...

Hi Donna. What a fun post. That Sloane is just the "cats pajamas" What a little actress!

The pie looks delicious. The weather affects making English Toffee too. My mom always said if you want it to set up, do it on a sunny day!

Praying that your eye surgery will go perfectly and a complete recovery.

Soon there will be no more Christmas in my LR. HaHa

Sending Hugs
Wanda

Granny Marigold said...

Thinking of you and hoping that your eye surgery went well.
How good that Chocolate pie looks!!!

diane b said...

That chocolate pie looks delicious.

Debbie Nolan said...

Donna will be praying your eye surgery goes well. Looks like Sloane may be showing who is really boss...made me smile. Love the photo of the tree...It does seem to be all decked out with lovely Christmas colors. Hope if you try this you will show it. Larry's chocolate pie looks excellent...as for the meringue didn't know the humidity affected it. My mom always said making homemade fudge was not easy if it was a rainy day. It would go sugary and not set up right. Like the idea of making up a big pot of soup and freezing it for those days when one doesn't feel like cooking so much. Have a great week. Hugs!

Catherine said...

I already had both eyes surgery and I am glad it’s over. I did not do much this week except going to the clinic.
I never baked a chocolate pie with meringue but only lemon meringue pie. Yours look good Larry is lucky!

Linda said...

Grinning over Ms. Sloane giving the cat a talk or two, smiles. Wishing you a beautiful week ahead.