Wednesday, January 3, 2024

January...Styling, Cooking and Candles.



Good morning, Friends...  Well, it's finally gone...2023.  I just want to say, good riddance.  
I hope you all are doing well?  Getting over the flu or covid?  We did absolutely nothing for New Years.  At 12:05am, we were awakened by a loud "knocking" at our bedroom window.  Larry jumps up...well...sort of jumps up...more like a roll and jump maneuver...lolol...and went to check things out.  I grabbed my weapon...(yes, I am licensed and know how to use it)... because you never know what or who is doing the knocking!  Come to find out, it was fireworks down the street!  It's also illegal here in the city limits...morons!  I hope they had to pay a huge fine...  Police sirens everywhere.  Needless to say I was up for the remainder of the morning.  A nap was taken later in the day.  




I'd bought Libby the pug a new sweater for Christmas...she was not impressed.  She just stood there, not moving, until I took it off...lol



I woke up early needing a Dutch Baby!  So, waiting for  Larry to get back up, I started pulling out my cast iron skillet, and got busy throwing one together.  I made the blueberry topping first, then the pancake.  We loved how it turned out.  Can't beat lemon and blueberries!
I left out the orange zest and used just vanilla and also used whole milk in the Dutch Baby recipe here.




SO good!







I also came across a recipe for Ham & Potato Chowder...here's the link to the recipe...You will love it!  I love all of the Wyse Guide's recipes!




Then, of course, here in the South, we had to start the New Year off with black-eyed peas and cornbread!  I threw in ham...seriously yummy!







I try to keep it real here on the blog...This was our sweet Sloane about a week ago.  She's better now as you witness in the next photo.  This year has been a tough one for her.  Allergies...flu...ears...our poor sweetheart has had enough!  Please keep her in your prayers.  




This is Samantha's half-sister, Ema.  Looks like you should pronounce her name E-Ma...no... they call her Emma, but it's spelled, Ema...confusing.  Anyway, she turned 17.  Long story but she belongs to our daughter's Ex-husband,  Robert.  He remarried and had two more children.  
Well, I tried to cut back on photos.  We really didn't do much of anything between Christmas and New Years.  Caught up on paperwork...started pulling together the things I need for the Tax Man...oh yes...it begins.  
Everything that comes in the mail for taxes, I make a copy then put in my CPA file.  I have a cover sheet for the accountant so all he needs to do is check off the items on the cover sheet and if he needs the actual proof, I make copies to send along, as well. 

Larry & Donna____        Personal Tax List 2023

605 xxxxxx Street

Xxxxxx, Texas


Her cell#

His cell#


1. Property Tax Receipt:

2. CPA 2022 Receipt:

3. Larry SSA – 1099 Benefit Statement:

4. Donna SSA- 1099 Benefit Statement:

5. All Banks Savings Interest -(I list them all)

9. Larrys VA -PO Health Coverage Letter -

10. Scott & White Senior Care /Proof of Coverage - Larry

11. Scott & White Senior Care /Proof of Coverage - Donna

                                    12. Anything else that needs to go to CPA


When you're retired, there's not too many things you need to declare.  Most years we owe $0.   This is just the cover letter I include.  Our CPA likes it...saves him time and me...added expense and wasted time.  

I take care of everything that comes in the day it comes in!  Make copies, go into computer and add the item, save it.  I use the free software called, Libre Office 7.6... (you can download it from the internet) I don't procrastinate!   I usually have everything that comes in by mid-March.  So... I open my computer and print the list and a copy...open the CPA file...grab the Cover List copy...add the files I made copies of then, stuff it all into a large white envelope.  I add our address to the front, the CPA's address...what's inside...Personal Tax List 2023...then drop it off personally at their office.  It's usually back within days.  I file away all the originals and cover list in my file cabinet.  You never know if the CPA could misplace the files I gave him!  It happened to a friend of ours...she had no backup copy!  She had given her taxman all the originals!  It was miserable for her to have to find everything she needed, all over again!  

I don't know how you do it, but we've always used a CPA.  The same one that does our company taxes.  I don't do them myself...nor do I allow a family member to do them!  Years ago, Larry told me to let SIL do them...we ended up paying IN over $300 dollars to the IRS...I vowed, Never Again!  Larry never interfered again, in my book work...good boy.

Well okay then! Lolol...you probably aren't interested in how I get my IRS packet ready for the CPA...but you got it, anyway! Lolol





As we watch Santa head off into the sunset for a much-needed rest...have a great week...until next time...


29 comments:

midorilinea said...

Your meals look so delicious and what a wonderful family photo! Hope you have an amazing New Year!

xoxo, Midori

https://www.midorilinea.com/blogs/midori-linea/my-new-creative-outlet-for-my-daughter-hannah

Debbie Nolan said...

Oh Donna that potato soup looks excellent...will check out the link. I have bean soon with a ham bone cooking in the crock pot as I type this...thinking some cornbread would be excellent as an accompaniment. Take care and have a great start to your New Year. Hugs!

Jeanette said...

Boy, a knock on our window at midnight would have kept me up for the rest of the night, too! Love the picture of Sloane! I'm glad she's feeling better now. That's a lot for her first year of life! You certainly are organized to get your taxes done! Our taxes are so simple now I just use the free program from the IRS to do mine. All that food looks so delicious! Every time I read a post of yours, I get hungry! Happy New Year! XO

photowannabe said...

Well, yumm on all that delicious food you photographed. Could I have your Dutch Baby recipe? My friend used to make it for us but I haven't had it in a very long time. Mouth is drooling.
Poor Sloane, praying this year will be a whole lot better for her and for all of you.
You are so organized and that CPA is thankful for sure.
Made me laugh on the haunted mansion pic. Yes that's me to a TEE.
Sue

Polyester Princess said...

Fireworks aren't allowed in many towns here in Belgium either. Not that it stops the morons :-(
Loving the sight of the Dutch Baby and the Ham & Potato Chowder, both looking yummy!
But oh, poor Sloane :-(
We didn't do much between Christmas and New Year either, but catching up with paperwork and putting things together for the Tax Man doesn't sound like much fun.
Here's to a happy and healthy 2024 Donna! xxx

Ann said...

Oh wow, that would have scared the crap out me hearing a knock on my bedroom window. Of course my bedroom is on the second floor so there's that...lol I don't get fireworks on New Years eve. Who thought it would be a good idea to mix explosives with drinking alcohol?
That picture of Sloane made me laugh.

Ann said...

Forgot to mention how impressed I am with your organizational skills.

Linda said...

Great recap and the Dutch Baby looks delicious. Have never heard of it but it sounds good.
Happy New Year to you.

Mari said...

Grr on the fireworks waking you up.
I've never made a dutch baby but I think I need to.
Poor little Sloan!
I like Wyse Guides recipes too.
I'm impressed by your tax plans. I've always done ours, but with Bob retiring and inheritance things I think that will change. I'm saving this post.

Margaret D said...

A new way to keep the dog still, it does look cute though.
I'll have to look up what we call a dutch baby as I've never heard of it.

Lin said...

I need to make a dutch baby! That looks really good. I dread New Year's. I had someone texting me at midnight....and I was miffed. We haven't been feeling good and that didn't help. I know they mean well....but....

Joe is just getting over Covid and now I have it. We've dodged it all these years and now we get it. Seems like everyone we know has it and many of them were first-timers like us. Must be a really contagious strain.

Poor Sloane. I hope her immunity grows stronger and she doesn't get as sick so often. It's so hard when they are little.

Ema does not look too happy to be 17. :)

Jennifer said...

Good for you not being a procrastinator! I am not typcially one but some things (like taxes) they can make me drag my feet!! Doggies and their sweaters...they either love or they don't! LOL And poor baby Sloane. Bad hair day and more! So glad she is feeling better and here's to a healthy 2024 - for her and all of us! Hope you are feeling 100 percent and that you are enjoying these first few days of the new year! I look forward to returning and visiting often! Happiest new year wishes to you!!

dori said...

I really hate the noisy private fireworks! Because of all the animals, who are so distressed and afraid! Sorry, it's not forbidden here in Germany! Crazy! And always they have to report about several accidants!

Little Sloane was very brave and I hope and pray for her to enjoy best health in this coming year! And all your amazing family, too! You are a warm heart for your family and you always prepare a good warm meal!

Organizing the "paper" is hard work! But I think, you made good relaxing in these days, too! This must be!

Greetings and best wishs to you all with blessings and happiness from Dori from the Bavarian Forest

dori said...

Ich hasse das laute private Feuerwerk wirklich! Wegen all der Tiere, die so verzweifelt und verängstigt sind! Leider ist es hier in Deutschland nicht verboten! Verrückt! Und immer müssen mehrere Unfälle gemeldet werden!

Die kleine Sloane war sehr mutig und ich hoffe und bete, dass sie sich im kommenden Jahr bester Gesundheit erfreuen wird! Und auch deine ganze tolle Familie! Du bist ein herzliches Herz für deine Familie und bereitest immer eine gute warme Mahlzeit zu!

Das Organisieren des „Papiers“ ist harte Arbeit! Aber ich denke, auch du hast es in diesen Tagen gut geschafft, dich zu erholen! Das muss sein!

Euch alle grüßt Dori aus dem Bayerischen Wald und alles Gute!

Catherine said...

Fireworks are no more allowed here and this year there was none.
Your food looks always delicious!
Poor Sloane I hope she will feel better this year.
Maxime is always ill too he catches everything at the nursery these days.

Sandra Cox said...

Your food always looks so good. The memes are great, especially the B Kind.
Sounds like you're a little more organized than I am;) We use a CPA also. I toss all our year long information and receipts in an envelope then in January start organizing it.
Sloane is a doll.
Hugs

Bill said...

Libby cracks me up. :) She decided to stay still after the sweater was put on, I wonder how long she would have lasted if you didn't take it off. Have a great week, Donna.

Wanda said...

Donna, I loved this post, has read it a few times but never had time to comment.

As always, your food is mouthwatering! The Dutch Baby just made me want to jump in the computer! The potato ham soup ~ Yum

And Sloane hair !!! Oh my, I thought I was looking at my dearest in the morning. I call him my morning Einstein. Poor baby with that running nose. Just want to hug her.

Great picture of Santa and the Sunset!!

Yes, we are moving on to a new year!!

DeniseinVA said...

Happy New Year to you and the family Donna, and after the last one I wish it the happiest for you all, especially for Sloane as at her tender age they really don’t understand what’s going on. Definitely in my prayers. Happy belated birthday to Ema. Enjoy all the photos you share. That must have been a scary experience with the knock on the window. I’m not a lover of fireworks. Our neighborhood was unusually quiet this year and I slept through it. Libby looks cute in her new sweater and your recipes look delicious, I also enjoy the illustrations you include and the funnies. Ah yes, the Tax Man cometh, oh joy ;) Thanks for all the tips. Once again A Very Happy New Year!

Lowcarb team member said...

All of your food looks delicious, the Dutch Baby so yummy :)

I do like the image of Santa and the sunset ...

Sweet Sloane, may 2024 be a healthy year for her.
Sending my good wishes to you and your family.

All the best Jan

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

It looks as though you have been cooking up a storm. I made ham and potato chowder as well. It really tasted good because the weather has taken a cold turn after being 60° on Christmas day. Thanks for the reminder about Dutch babies. I haven’t had one of those in more than a decade. I may just make one this week. Happy new year!

Back2OurSmallCorner said...

Strangely, we had our doorbell ring just after midnight on New Year's Eve. Think it was food delivery but wrong address. They were gone by the time we opened the door.
Sweet Sloane. What a year you have had. Here's wishing you a better 2024, health wise.
All you food looks very tasty, seems like you were very busy over the festive period, Donna.
love to you all x

Linda Stoll said...

oh that is so FUNNY that Libby just stood there until she got her way! hysterical. you've made my morning, Donna ...

Visits With Mary said...

All that good food made me hungry again. Poor Libby, she really looked so stylish in her new sweater. I have a Chi that does that when I put his collar on, takes him forever to even blink his eyes. Sure hope precious little Sloane has a better year, she is so cute.

Sandra Cox said...

That's a hoot about scary houses and stairs:)
Hugs

Jenny the Pirate said...

Well I copied that ham chowder recipe, haha! Thanks for that! I felt like Sloane looked for about three weeks of December. It was a nightmare. Thank God that's over. You're never ready for the flu. We use a CPA too but TG takes care of all of that. So are you saying that you woke up at 12:05 because of fireworks and never went back to sleep all night? I was just going to bed about that time, hahaaha! I made a Dutch Baby on Christmas morning and we devoured it, with berry compote! Thanks for sharing that recipe several years ago. xoxo

Red Rose Alley said...

aaahhh, little Sloane. I hope she has a better year with her health. I said a prayer for this sweet child. I've never heard of a Dutch Baby before. We call them crepes here, and I love them. Yours looks delicious with the blueberries. And your dishes of black-eyes peas and ham and potato chowder look delicious. The Santa photo is delightful. I LOVED the "kind" picture and quote too.

Happy New Year Donna. I hope it brings much goodness your way. : )

~Sheri

Latane Barton said...

So happy that Sloane is feeling better. She's such a beautiful little doll.

Sandra Cox said...

Nice to meet Ema:)
Hugs