Wednesday, July 17, 2024

God sent His Angel...A/C Dilemma, Yogurt and Hot Air.



Good morning, Friends...It's been a little busier around here, than usual.  Our air conditioner coils are leaking and Larry doesn't want to replace them.  Almost $3000 just for the coil unit...plus labor...and if anything else goes wrong with the a/c, more money, so...we are getting a new complete unit.  The guy starts on it today.  
Larry has been mowing our across the street neighbor's lawn, now for almost three years.  The husband (Al) owned an air conditioning business.  Before he passed away, he asked Larry to just be there if his wife Marie, needed help.  Well, Larry just started mowing her lawn, no charge.  And we are there if she needs anything else.  Well, that's the dilemma...
The last time one of Marie's techs (Al's brother) came to refill the freon (because it has a slow leak no one told us about it) Larry asked him to please work us up an estimate on a new unit.  Well, that was over 2 months ago and still no word.  Well...we then called a company called Jacobs-Cathey.  We worked with them a lot in all the years we worked in our plumbing business... (now we are retired, and Larry's brother and wife are running it).  Well, that was about two weeks ago...Larry went there personally to talk with them...they apologized and said the tech must have just gotten busy and forgot to turn the work sheet in.  ok...that estimate turned out to be over $11 thousand dollars...(grabbing my chest).  SO he called an a/c guy that our daughter and granddaughter had worked for years ago...Bailey AC.  He called Larry back about an hour later...came by an hour after that and had our bid for $8300 in less than 30 minutes.
Now...When Marie see's Bailey AC in our driveway...what do I tell her??  I know she's going to be upset about us using someone else.  
Larry said to just tell her the truth...her tech never got back to us..."it's business", he said.  I know she's going to be upset...I'll let you know how it turns out...say a prayer for peaceful waters.  We've had enough shocks this week...



We stopped at our favorite Chinese food joint...They are cheap and give you enough food for several days!  This was Larry's Chicken Fried Rice...


Waiting for our order...



After we got home, Samantha called asking if we could pick our Sloane up from daycare...they were going car shopping and didn't think Sloane would do well.  We picked her up at 2pm and they picked her back up around 9:30pm.  Nope...too long a wait for a baby.




We had a fun time and a change of clothes...got her banana all over herself...I missed the piece on her lip...lol





A new project all folded away when I get through with the quilt...hopefully, soon! lol
The material I found is so sweet...




I made air fryer Cornish hen...






I made Instant Pot yogurt...Seriously good!!  I never knew that the longer you leave the yogurt to ferment, the tangier the taste!  SO, I left it for just 6 hours and talk about delicious!!  Vanilla...
The other photo was my Lemon chicken...










Here's an upgraded plastic bag blower Larry made!  It works great and I can easily wash and dry them now.  Too darn expensive to throw away!










I made Chicken Salad...delicious if you like a sweet salad.  
Grapes, chicken chunks, mayonnaise, mustard, slivered almonds and about 2 cups of Cool Whip.  Mix well and refrigerate.
Serve on your favorite bread.











Well, that's about it for me...Hope you all are all well and safe.  Please pray for America...and the families of the shooting that happened this past Sunday.  Thank God President Trump turned his head...ever so slightly.  Pray for unity...and a peaceful election.

So... until next time...


31 comments:

Lin said...

I'm with Larry on the A/C topic. She doesn't dare ruffle feathers considering she is getting free mowing services. It is only fair to get at least 3 estimates prior to doing a major project. She should know that.

How is the quilt coming along? I am looking for a new quilt project. :)

Jennifer said...

I am right there with Kermit....why is that task such a bear!?! I'm also with Larry. Just tell the neighbor the truth. Maybe it will get to the right place and actually be helpful. And, she is getting free lawn service - surely, she will be appreciative and remain a great neighbor!

maureenlthompson said...

I am sure your neighbor will understand that you chose the other installers because their quote was much less. Not hundreds but thousands. And they were prompt too. In this weather you need 'prompt'! Love the pattern for the little girl dresses and rompers. Look forward to seeing it when you have made it. XXXXX

Maureen in MO.

Bill said...

What a difference between quotes. Anyone I know would take the cheaper quote to get the job done. I hope she understands. Your cornish hen looks delicious and now I want one. :)

Mari said...

I think your neighbor will get it. That's a lot of money.
Sloaney girl-so cute! And so is the outfit and material.
Guess what I got yesterday? The Pressure canner you talked about. I've been thinking about something like that and when you mentioned it, I did some research and ordered it. So now, I need to try to use it! Do you have any favorites you've done in it?

Ann said...

I'll have to agree with Larry about what to say to Marie about using the other A/C company. I mean how long are you supposed to wait for someone to get back to you and since that one guy was so quick.
That air fryer cornish hen looks really good.

MadSnapper said...

sloan is to cute for words, love the pattern. on no on the $$$$$$$$$$$ we got a new ac unit in 2020 along with a roof 6 months later, we are still drained and had to pay 950 for tree removal yesterday.
thanks for the idea of drying the bags, I wanted to save the one today, it was perfect. i can use the blow dryer to dry them out. thanks for the idea

Lowcarb team member said...

"Larry said to just tell her the truth" ... yes, I would agree.

Sloane is a cutie, I always enjoy seeing photographs of her.

All the best Jan

dori said...

I mean, Jennifer has written a good comment for this complicate problema ccording the situation with the neighbour!

- best wishes to you, that you will find good words.

I think it is very hot in your region.


We here in Europe look with a lot of questions to the sitation in the USA. Big fightings in heaven?

Many greetings and blessings to you and to your whole house from Dori from the Bavarian Forest

dori said...

Ich meine, Jennifer hat einen guten Kommentar zu diesem komplizierten Problem geschrieben, was die Situation mit der Nachbarin betrifft!

- alles Gute für dich, dass du gute Worte findest.

Ich glaube, es ist sehr heiß in deiner Gegend.

Wir hier in Europa schauen mit vielen Fragen auf die Situation in den USA. Große Kämpfe im Himmel?

Viele Grüße und Segen für dich und dein ganzes Haus von Dori aus dem Bayerischen Wald

Linda said...

Yes, tell the neighbor the truth.

I thought I was the only one in the world who washes/dries/reuses their Zip loc bags. I can't remember the last time I bought a new box of Ziplocs.

Red Rose Alley said...

Donna, I do hope all goes well with the a/c issue. You shouldn't have to wait that long for a/c in this heat. Larry's chicken fried rice looks so good. Chinese food is a favorite of mine, so I am drooling over the food here. Sloane is getting so big. And I smiled when I saw that pattern that you are going to be working on. My mom was a great seamstress, and made all my clothes growing up, among other things. I sewed a little, but had a hard time reading those patterns. Cornish hens are delicious. I've even cooked them for Thanksgiving once or twice. And that chicken salad sandwich looks amazing. I think the croissant makes it.

Have a good rest of the week, Donna. Hope you get your a/c very soon.

~Sheri

Margaret D said...

If a company don't do the right things family or not, you just get someone else, you've been in business, your husband has so you know what it's like.
We would get a new system too.
Love the pattern for Sloane's dress and the fabric behind the pattern, it's very pretty.
Trump was ever so lucky, not meant to be gone as yet.

Polyester Princess said...

Although I definitely get the dilemma, I too am with Larry on this!
I'm with you on the fitted sheet and cockroach memes though :-)
And oh, Sloane is going to look ever so cute in your new project! Well, she is looking cute all the time anyway! xxx

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Donna. We love Chinese food too. Chinese is our "go to" when we go out. (I really like Mexican - but hubby not so much). Yes, AC units are major expensive! We replaced the AC in the condo we moved from and sold last year and it was $10,000! I think you did the right thing completely going with the place that gave you a better bid right away. Darling pictures of Sloane. I completely agree with you about Donald Trump. God protected him. I honestly believe he will easily win the election. I hope you have a good weekend. See you again soon!

photowannabe said...

Truth wins...
It may be hard but your neighbor's husband was in that business and the lowest bid and fastest return time should win. Prayers for understanding all around. Besides she is getting her lawn done for free too.
I love the sundress and romper pattern. Sloane will be darling in it, for sure.
Yummm on the Chinese food. A favorite of ours. Should have gone to our favorite place yesterday instead of Golden Corral..this was after our Dr. app. and close by...Ugh! It was terrible... Never again!
Sue

Far Side of Fifty said...

I would just tell the neighbor the truth...you need ac and you need calls returned. We did Central Air about four years ago...and it was 3,500 then but I suppose everything has gone up! Hope you get it all situated, I am sure your neighbor will understand.

diane b said...

You sure do have aclever Larry making a plastic bag blower. You are a foody with all those yummy meals. Sloane is getting prettier everyday but yes that was a long time to wait for Mummy. Larry is right just tell your neighbour the tech didn't get back to you.Hope you are happy with the new unit. I just bought two single electric beds .They cost $9000AUD

Linda said...

Unfort...that is the going rate, we recently had to purchase a new central ac unit as well. As for the neighbor etc. well, I agree with Larry. We have a neighbor who works for a window company and offered us a discount, well, after it was all said and done, we decided to go with Lowes because of the cost. The rising costs of everything, sigh...anyways, wishing you a beautiful weekend, my friend.

Linda said...

P.S. My husband mows the whole neighborhood. Just to keep the thought of snakes out. smiles.

DeniseinVA said...

I am also siding with Larry on this one. He is the kind of neighbor that everyone would wish for. I’d tell Marie the truth. She must know how lucky she is to have neighbors like you and Larry. Sloane is as sweet as ever and I am looking forward to seeing her in the dress you are going to make her. It is a pretty print! All the food looks yummy. Funnies made me laugh thanks, and loved Kermit especially, and the cockroach. Another fun and interesting post to read Donna. Have a great weekend and sending hugs.

Granny Marigold said...

The problem of what to say to your neighbour is a thorny one. I hope whatever you end up saying that she doesn't take offense.
Cool whip is an unlikely addition to a Chicken salad IMO.

Sandra Cox said...

I'm with Larry about if she asks, just tell her the truth. Easy for me to say, right?:)
And I'm right there with Kermit after putting on the fitted sheets:)

Jennyff said...

I don’t eat yoghurt till it’s past its sell by date, I once heard on a tv programme that it’s no good till it’s blowing the lid off the carton.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

I laughed out loud at Kermit. Good grief, but dealing with seasonal bedding can be exhausting.

Back2OurSmallCorner said...

Larry is a wise man and I agree with him about the A/c work even if your neighbour isn't happy. 2 months is too long to hang around for a quote.
Sloane will look fab in the little outfit when you sew it for her.
Love the fitted sheet meme. Made me laugh! I feel just like that when I do the same thing.
Thinking of you all over there after the terrible events recently and wish you all a peaceful lead up to November and beyond. Take care x

Carla said...

Hopefully your neighbor doesn't say anything but even if she does I would have to say we waited and waited but we need to get this fixed and at an affordable rate.
Now I love the Cockroach tip but my husband would just pick it up toss it and say you might want to sweep. LOL
Your chicken salad had me until you got to the cool whip. That's a new one on me. May have to try that in a small portion for myself.
Enjoyed your blog.

Sandra Cox said...

3K for coils is pretty pricey. Everything costs so much these days.
Hugs

Dianna said...

Donna, I totally agree with your husband...just tell your neighbor the truth because it's business. However, I will pray for her to not be upset by the fact that you had to get someone else because her people didn't get back with you. As Larry said, "It's business."

That Sloane is so adorable and she will look so cute in that little dress when you make it!

All of your food pictures look amazing. And I loved the meme about the cockroach! LOL!

Yes, our country certainly needs our prayers!

Jenny the Pirate said...

Oh dear, changing the sheets on our king size bed just about takes me OUT! OK now did you mean to say two cups of Cool Whip in your chicken salad? Not Miracle Whip? Asking for myself because I have never heard of such an thing as Cool Whip with chicken but I admit to being intrigued, haha!

Jenny the Pirate said...

OK I looked it up and sure enough, there are those who put Cool Whip into their chicken salad. I will soon be one of them, hahaa! That sounds amazing. The other day our co-pastor, Bro. Tony, asked TG and me if we had ever heard of a mayonnaise and watermelon sandwich on Capt. Derst's white bread. Nooooooo, can't say that I have until now, bahahaha I will NOT be trying that! I read in your latest post that your neighbor didn't even notice the competition's van in your driveway so that was something you didn't even need to worry about, hahaha! xoxo