Monday, July 18, 2011

Spoiler and a Rant...




IF YOU HAVE NOT YET SEEN THE NEW TRUE GRIT BUT PLAN ON DOING SO...THIS POST IS NOT FOR YOU! GO HAVE SOME LATTE AND A COOKIE OUT ON THE PATIO...


OK...Is the room clear?


This weekend Hubby and I had some down-time to kill (Hubby's Geocache locator thingy broke and they are sending out a new one). So, what better way to spend it than laying up on the couch, eating some Pina Colada homemade ice cream and watching the re-make of True Grit?!!

I will be turning the big 6-0 sometime soon so that means I was old enough to appreciate the ORIGINAL True Grit when it made its debut in 1969. I was a senior in high school. A gang of us kids went to see it at the theater. It was Great and I have watched it many times since, thanks to VCR tapes and DVDs.

I miss John Wayne....


The NEW True Grit left Hubby and I staring at each other, mouths open and in a daze! You have GOT to be kidding me! Mattie has to have half her arm cut off because of the snake bite?? LaBouef LIVES and Matties Beloved horse, Blackie, is SHOT and killed by Cogburn while running ON FOOT to save Matties life??? I thought it was HIS horse....I need to watch the old version again..... Did I miss something? Mattie is a grown woman in the end, minus an arm, when she accepts an invitation to visit Cogburn (who now works for a circus/rodeo show) but upon arrival, finds he died three days earlier?

What a STUPID Movie!!! The way they talked, well, there are just NO words....MORONS!

Why can't DummyWood come up with something completely...ahhhh...ORIGINAL? Are there no real screenwriters left on this planet? AND...Steven Spielberg produced?

Jeff Bridges OVERplayed Cogburn's part...Matt Damon...brought NOTHING to the part of LaBouef....and the new Mattie??? At least Kim Darby LOOKED old enough to be kissed by Glen Campbell...(who, by the way, is IN Matties room when she wakes up...).

So, there you have my take on a Wasted hour and a half that could have been spent Happily cleaning toilets....

Happy Monday Gang!

22 comments:

Jeanette said...

Yeah, we saw it and didn't really like it too much either!

Paula said...

If you picked cleaning toilets over watching it, I know I won't be renting it... *hehehaha*
Thanks for the tip, Miss Donna- the next time hubby wants a western from netflix, I'll steer clear of this one!

Crystal said...

A lil heart broken on dad's geocaching device broke huh? I bet u were spittin nails when he told ya, lol!!!

And yeah, I loved watching the John Wayne version better. Seems these days they make a movie around the actors instead of the story...

Out on the prairie said...

I sat and watched the Duke festival for an entire day and laughed at some of the lives he had.Hard to remake many films, note the lack of awards for the new one.I haven't seen it yet, but do know a neighbor asked for his money back, and he is a big western fan.

Anonymous said...

we didn't watch the new one as we anticipated how bad it would be..sounds like we were right..instead we bought a new remastered original and have watched it several times..our young people watched it too and loved it....
no one can outmatch John Wayne...

Sally said...

Oh, I do so love it when you rant!! :)

I haven't seen it but read what you had to say anyway. I LOVE John Wayne!!!!!!!! So, I won't be seeing this. I'd rather party with Jose'. :)

Have to say though, I was 'sposed to marry Josh Brolin's daddy, but that darn BarBRA got him first. I'm still fuming over that one. LOL

Have a wonderful day, funny lady!!

Hugs!

Ms. Becky said...

I'm happy to read your opinion of this movie. and here's why. I saw it on the big screen and yes, it was beautiful and all of that, but it left me wondering why it had been re-made. I didn't like Jeff Bridges at all. I did like Mattie, but the whole movie was just sort of vacuous, if you know what I mean. I like the original so much better. the remake seemed dis-connected or something. I'm not sure if it was because I already knew the storyline, or what. but I have to agree with you Donna, it wasn't even close to being what it was hyped to be. stay cool, and have a fun week!
{{{hugs}}}

Donna said...

You crack me up! I haven't seen the movie but was thinking about it. Thanks for the tip and the review!

Have a good day!
Donna

Anvilcloud said...

Somehow. I have missed both versions.

Donna said...

Thanks Guys! I have been moving and cleaning today so I've been lax on my replies to you...
Hope This didn't ruin the movie for any of you but it was Truly Awful...And AC? If you haven't seen either of them, go rent the REAL True Grit with John Wayne...Good western Classic!
hughugs

Debbie said...

Not sure if I've seen the original! I can't remember anything. Okay...will not watch this one!

Have you seen the Deadwood series? Oh gosh...love love love it!! I get it on Netflix.

I love to hear you rant too. You are funny!!! When I rant, I'm a bitch LOL LOL

Ann said...

I'll take your word for it and skip seeing this one. My toilet needs cleaned any way :)

Dawn said...

*Katherine* will take your word !! *HUGS*

Jenny said...

Wow, I'm glad I read this because I was tempted to watch the remake. Not anymore.

I LOVED the old True Grit. Great movie, great song, I had a HUGE crush on Glen Campbell, and of course The Duke was brilliant and Kim Darby adorable. Why don't they learn not to mess with what ain't broke in the first place?

You shoulda watched a Johnny Depp movie. Just sayin' ...

bichonpawz said...

I love your rants!!! I agree...next time...go for George Clooney...or Brad Pitt!

Anonymous said...

Sorry you had to endure this piece of crap. I haven't seen it and don't plan to - too many bad reviews.

SUGAR MOON said...

Well I laughed out loud at the cleaning toilet part.
Yes I did see it. Hubby and I went to the movies when it first came out. I also love John Wayne so at first I didn't want to go, but then I decided I would just watch it and not think about John Wayne or the fact that it was a remake and I came out thinking it was ok. OK as on it's on, not ok as a John Wayne remake, but then I don't think a good John Wayne remake is a possibility. Enjoyed your post. Have a great day!!

SUGAR MOON said...

BTW I saw Kim Darby interviewed and she isn't the same Kim Darby either. She was really weird. I couldn't find that 14 year old in her anywhere.

And I did find the missing arm thing a bit much too.

Dolores said...

The movie was bought for us by our grandsons....they thought we'd love it. We felt the same way you did about the movie. We didn't sit through the whole thing.

Home made pina colada ice cream sounds wonderful!!!
Hugs,

CityMom2 said...

Thank you Donna!
Everyone in these parts thought the new one was awesome, better than the DUKE?!?
Like Ms.Becky I turned to hubby and said, "What was the point of THAT?"
He agreed, as well he should.

Matt Damon is a cutie, but even his looks can't curb the nausea cased by Bridges...don't get me started on Crazy Fart (Heart)
Cmom

SquirrelQueen said...

I haven't seen this version and had not planned on seeing it. My only question is why would anyone in their right mind even think about remaking a John Wayne movie?

Jeanna said...

I have seen both versions and of course being a fan of the Duke like the original better. However, I have watched both and the second one is how the book was actually written. Most people do not realize it was a book first. So for that aspect the second gets the vote being truer, but why would you even think of messing with a John Wayne movie anyway has been my question.