Sunday, May 21, 2023

Happy Nine Months, Toys, Food...and I Talk Too Much?

Good morning, friends!  
Has it really been a week?  Well, I suppose that's a good thing for You! You're saved from too many silly posts from this old woman! lolol  
It was our greatgran Sloane's nine-month birthday on the 15th.  Time is really scooting by!  She'll be starting school before we know it...


Silly girl...lol...Samantha (mom) shot the photo at the right time!



This was a project Larry made last week and I painted.  Wooden letters for Sloane, most probably, to chew on or throw at us.  No worries...we're learning to dodge!  After Larry had brought the finished letter board to me, he said it wasn't good enough...the letter grooves needed to be larger.  SO, he went off to begin a new board.  And I must admit, the wood absorption quality for the paint, wasn't all that wonderful.  And yes, he knew she'd be trying to chew on them...hence, food quality finish.  Whatever it takes, I suppose.  In the meantime, she can play with this one.



I also bought her a walker.  She apparently, can now push herself around on one...a trick she learned at her 12 month old cousin's house...so...Gamma to the rescue.  Gamma's are pushovers! lolol



Got up the other morning and had a hankering for pancakes, German style, with Powdered sugar, butter and lemon juice.  Hit the spot!  Syrups are fine but this particular day was a powdered sugar day! lol



For lunch, I made shrimp and rice with tomatoes.  I added a 1/2 cup of Olive Gardens Classic Signature Italian dressing to the shrimp in the frying pan, and 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream...let the mixture sinner on the stove.  Never let it boil...the cream will separate.  Just let it simmer.  Serve over buttered rice.  Always taste before you add seasonings...the sauce was seasoned nicely when I added the dressing.
So delicious.  I've been making Tomatoes and Rice all my married life (50 yrs.).  Figured shrimp would only add to the flavor, and it did.  The Olive Garden dressing was just a random addition...but it worked!  Lemony. 


We've heard how the Black Rifle Coffee Company had built a business here in Waco, Texas...out on I-35 interstate so naturally, we had to go see what all the fuss was about.  Larry ordered the black basic and naturally, I had to doctor my coffee with cream and sugar.  Good coffee!  American made and Veteran owned, coffee company.  Can't beat that (we have two grandsons in the Air Force and Larry, my husband, was in the Air Force and served in Viet Nam).  We used to patronize Starbucks years ago before the owners started vocalizing their political views...and the Waco Starbucks location decided they were allowed to insult the customers...it didn't go over well...lost a lot of customers.  Now, several years later we are hearing people complain about the quality of the coffee...and the service.  We own a plumbing company in two cities.  We would never flaunt our political views and subject our customers to such displays!  It's simply not done!  Your politics and your religion are Your business, period.  You don't like my political views?  Take it up with a voting machine.  I don't like anyone who thinks it funny to humiliate others. 
Hubby and I can simply choose not to participate at businesses that do this.  I feel, in this day and age, we need each other!  You might not like apple jelly but does that mean you will decide to not like me, if I do?  Ridiculous thinking...'nuff said.








Taco Tuesdays are a "thing" in our area.  You aren't allowed to get the Senior or Military discount, but they drop the price of your meal considerably.  Yes, Taco Tuesday found us at Rosa's Cafe...You get 3 tacos, hot fresh tortillas, beans and rice for $5.99.  If you're on fixed incomes, it's a good deal.



Our granddaughter Samantha, Sloanes mom, posing for the company she works with, advertising said company.  Sam's a hair stylist with Cortny & Company .  All the stylist got a chance to participate.  Click on the link...they're all gorgeous  (our Sami, third from the right)!  Back in my day, beautiful women were not everywhere you looked! lolol...Today, it's the Plain-Jane that's a rarity!  




Going from hair to White Jasmine...lol...Larry built me a frame that will allow the plant to climb.  
I must pause here to say how fortunate I am, to have a husband that, if he can, drops everything he's doing to accommodate me and my wants.  I really try to not abuse my privileged position and his kind heartedness.  We both realize that the yard is in terrible shape and needs to be brought back to life.  It's a "together" job and I give as good as I get.  I may not be able to create frames or build pergolas, but I make up for it by cooking, baking...cleaning..or making him his favorite ice creams and pies.  And...I can plant the flowers.  Larry has always been a hard worker of which I have always been grateful.  We have mutual love and respect for each other...You have to give and take to be married for 50 years.  It hasn't all been, "apple pie days", and you shouldn't expect it to be.  How boring would that have been? lolol




My Libby is an actual Emotional Support dog with a unit number and badge!  I applied for it ($100) because I wanted NO trouble if I wanted to take her to various businesses while shopping.  



My Knock-Out Roses are blooming like crazy...and growing!  New leaves everywhere.





Well, that's about it for me.  Hope I didn't tire you out too much!  I try to talk less and have more photos, so you don't pass out in your chairs...lolol...but I believe I was a bit "wordy" today...sorry about that.  So, until next time...


25 comments:

Sandra Cox said...

I loved your comment, 'If you don't like my politics take it up with a voting machine.' I completely agree, make your voice heard at the polls.
Sloane's sign looks fine to me.
Happy 9 mos to Sloane. That's a beautiful picture of Samantha.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

Linda said...

So lovely photos. Samantha is beautiful, Donna...umm...I won't patronize Black Rifle...they might be American owned, but they dissed Trump and the America First ideology. They since have walked it back, but still...I am completely turned off by companies/celebrities who tell viewpoints and or talk out the side of their mouths. I/we have been pretty careful in what we buy and started reading the labels etc. (ohhhhhhhhhh perhaps I ought to do a post about that, LOLOLOL).

ANYWAYS--thank you for bringing such joy. smiles

Linda said...

Your posts are so packed with info it's difficult to comment. Love the name puzzle hubby made for the baby. I haven't tried Black Rifle coffee but I've heard about it a lot. Hope you have a good day.
Linda B, imagesisee.blogspot.com

Bill said...

I like Sloane's name painted in the different colours, it looks nice. Time does fly by when your having fun. I enjoyed reading your post and hope you have a great new week.

Polyester Princess said...

You're absolutely right not to mix business with politics and to avoid businesses that do so!
That photo Samantha took of Sloane is such fun, and clever your greatgran is to push herself around with a walker at 9 months old! My grandson Cas was 18 months before he did so ... but then again he's a boy :-))
And how stunning is that photo of Samantha! Just fabulous! xxx

Red Rose Alley said...

I love that photo of Samantha. And that era always speaks to me. Taco Tuesday sounds great. There's nothing like a good taco. When I visited the girls in So Cal, there was this taco shop we went to, and I kid you not, it was the best taco I've ever had! The new coffee you tried sounds good. That's too bad you don't care for Starbuck's any more. It's still my favorite coffee, sipping on it now, reading your sweet blog. The German pancakes with butter and powdered sugar looks so Yummy. And the wooden letters that Larry made are awesome! You painting them makes them extra special. And I absolutely LOVE the growth photo of little Sloane. I've seen many different ones since I had grandkids, and this one is so unique.

Have a great week ahead, Donna.

~Sheri

ps.....oh, your knock-out rose is a beauty!

Terri D said...

Sloane is adorable and that monthly quilt she is on with the butterfly wings is SO CUTE. I've never seen one like that. Love it. That plate full of luscious-looking Mexican food made me want some right now!! And for only $5.99?!! Wow! I enjoyed your entire post! Peace!!

dori said...

Oh dear Rose, I really LOVE your sentences about your dear hsband and your love!!


Sweeeeet Sloane is my great favorite! But the same ist your granddaughter Samantha!! What a beautiful photo!

You are so blessed!

dori said...

Oh liebe Rose, ich LIEBE deine Sätze über deinen lieben Ehemann und deine Liebe wirklich!!


Süüüüüüße Sloane ist mein großer Favorit! Aber das Gleiche gilt auch für deine Enkelin Samantha!! Was für ein schönes Foto!

Du bist so gesegnet!

Margaret D said...

Love the photo of Sloane, and those letters are good.
Your husband is a handy man to have around.
The tacos are looking good with the salad in them.
Your daughter is a beauty and thanks for the link, off to look now.
Take care.

Catherine said...

I love Sloane’s picture and Maxime has the same walker! I like your husband’s wood work, the letters and for your plant it will be very nice. Each time I come on your blog I really feel hungry 😋 such good food!

Ann said...

OMG, Sloane's 9 month picture is adorable.
That's crazy about Starbucks. I would think that businesses would want to remain neutral so that they don't offend ANY of their customers. I'm tired of the way things have changed regarding just about everything these days.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Such cute pictures of Sloane and a beautiful picture of her mama. That is such a cute toy that you and your hubby made for Sloane with her name. She will love it I'm sure. I'm with you on Starbucks and businesses who push their politics. We have Black Rifle Coffee around here too, but I am not a coffee drinker so have never tried it. Your "Taco Tuesday" meal looks great. I hope you have an excellent week! See you again soon. :-)

meandmysmallcorner said...


Sweet little Sloane you are such a joy. She really is growing up so quickly.
Taco Tuesday sounds a great idea and they look delicious. 50 years married is a wonderful achievement and I wish you many more together. You certainly know the recipe for a happy marriage. The frame Larry made for your Jasmine to climb up looks great.
Have a great week Donna

photowannabe said...

I truly LOVE every Word in your post today.
Smiling over the darling picture of Butterfly Sloane and your gorgeous daughter Samantha. Wow what a knock out.
Amen on the political stuff and I do boycott Starbucks because of their actions.
I dropped several things on the floor this morning...Exercise for the day, DONE !!
Picture of the "support" dog cracked me up.
Love you "wordy". This was a fun post Donna.
Sue

Pam said...

HI Donna,
What a great post! Sloane is a cutie!!
LOVE your blog, I will be back!
HUGS

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

I like your idea about politics, Donna, and taking it to the polls. Your plate of food at Rosa’s looks so good. I like that cheery place!

Granny Marigold said...

That is an amazing picture of Sloane. And she's 9 months old already!!!
German-style pancakes are high on my list of . So Yummy.

nonie everythingsewing said...

Wonderful pictures. I enjoy your blog so much, just a fun place to visit. I am so glad for your report on Black Rifle coffee, I have seen it advertised and it has interested me because they are veterans, Just might be something I order!

Jeanette said...

Sloane is precious! I can't believe she is 9 months old already! I bought one of those walkers for Maxwell when he was about that age. He loved it and used it for a long time, and Levi did too! Your Larry is a gem for sure! It does take a lot of give and take to make a marriage last that long! We celebrated 46 years this year so yeah, I know the drill! Sounds like a good coffee company. Wish there was one around here! XO buddy!

Gretel said...

Dropping in from Shropshire UK Donna, to say thank you for your kind comment and to visit your world here, so many miles away!

Lin said...

I have boycotted businesses long before it was fashionable. If you treat me like garbage, I won't be back. If you start shouting out your political/social views...count me out. This world is so exhausting these days, isn't it? Such lovely girls you have in your family! And Larry is soooo talented! I need a Larry over here.

Sandra Cox said...

That walker is soooo cute.

Wanda said...

Donna, if you are feeling low, just got to your blog post and you will immediately feel better. Your darling granddaughter...that butterfly! so adorable.
Loved every thing you shared. Love pancakes with powdered sugar and jam. Love a good Monte Cristo Sanwich with powdered sugar.

You hubby is a treasure for sure.

I don't do politics, but if someone asked me a question about my faith, or church, I do have an answer. But I'm always nice....haha.

I love coffee, and cream and sugar or Italian Sweet Cream is like dessert!

Thanks for all your good humor and fun pictures and quotes.

Jenny the Pirate said...

All so good -- especially Taco Tuesday at Rosa's Cafe -- but I just wanted to say that our Andrew LOVES Black Rifle Coffee! Has the t-shirt and everything. He will drink nothing else at home. xoxo