Thursday, May 25, 2023

Sisterhood Update...A Memory Dress...A Swim.

Good morning, friends...Just a little update on my sister Ruth Ann's cancer treatments.

She's just finished up her 8th out of 12 chemo treatments, for her colon cancer.  She had a CT Scan yesterday to see if chemo is working...we'll know more later, maybe next week?  I think it's finally starting to wear on her.  Her hair is just now starting to fall out but hopefully, it all won't fall out...she had super thick hair so maybe she won't have to cut it all off, we'll see.  She's also getting upset a lot, again like she was at the beginning, just after we found out she was ill.  Anger spurts...(which makes me seriously doubt that she's still taking her Zoloft) especially at people who simply dare to ask her a question.  The poor auto mechanic got his hat handed to him for no reason at all except that he dared ask the same question twice.  I had to reign her in at that point!  She "sort of" apologized to him after that.  I need a gallon of ice cream to help me with my nerves...lolol

But we'll make it hopefully, by the grace of God and prayer.



This is Ruth Ann and me several months ago.


On to brighter subjects...The dress Sloane is wearing?  I dug it out of my "memory" stash of my children and grandchildren's saved clothing.  I knew they'd come in handy some day!  Our granddaughter wore it 28 years ago...now our greatgran, Sloane.  I stored it in a Ziploc bag for all these years...looks new!  And fits Sloane, perfectly.



We bought her a walker.  I keep her on Mondays, and she gave it a workout! lol




I made salmon patties again.  We love them and they're so easy to make!  LoCarb, as well since I used crushed pork rinds to mix in the batter with two eggs and seasonings.



Is it too early for Sloane to swim?  Couldn't help myself...A little water and some plastic toys should give her some extra fun.  Larry and I like to sit on the patio, so it'll be fun for all of us. 



Breakfast this morning...vanilla granola, Kellog's Red Berries cereal, added chopped pecans and dried cranberries.  Add some whole milk or 2% and you're good to go!  I guess you could also use Almond Milk although, I've never used it.








Ever get frustrated with trying to wash out, then dry, your plastic freezer bags?  Well, Larry heard me saying a few cuss, unsavory words, asked what my problem was...I told him it's ridiculous how much wasted time I spent on trying to dry bags out enough to put back in the storage box.  If you're on a fixed income, you learn to reuse!  I don't have to do it but it really does save money.  Well, satisfied with my answer, off he went, out to his little shoppe of magical things and brought back in, a little fan!  A 4" Duct fan!  Like what's in your bathroom, exhaust fan... Perfect for drying my bags!!  
Works in minutes...


Plug it in and it dries your bags! 




Here's the box in case you want to order one.





Well, I guess I'll end things here.   Hopefully, you all are safe and doing well.  I know a few of you are undergoing medical procedures so I'll be praying for you... Have a good day and until next time...



Enjoy your holiday on Monday (United States) and always, Remember, Honor and Respect those who Gave Their All...


28 comments:

Jeanette said...

I hope your sister's CT scan results are positive. Sounds to me like she's stopped taking her Zoloft too! Sloan is a cutie! That dress is adorable. I wish I would have kept some of my kids clothes! That is a neat fan for drying out your bags. I usually just hang them in the laundry room. Have a great Memorial weekend. XO

Visits With Mary said...

Using pork rinds in your patties is a great idea! My daughter coats her chicken in egg and pork rinds when she uses her air fryer. Yummy. Sloane is so precious, love her sweet smile. Sending prayers for hearling to your sister. Cancer is so ugly.

photowannabe said...

Praying for good results for your Sis..Cancer is horrible. Hope she can get back on the Zoloft to even things out.

Aww Sloane in your treasure is wonderful and so is your Hubby for that matter. What a treasure he is for solving your bag drying issue.

Yes, definitely Honor and Respect for all those who gave their lives that we can be free.

Great post again today

Sue

Wanda said...

You and your sweet sister. I have one sister, and I was just working on a blog post about her.

Love the picture of grandpa and Sloane. They are both adorable!

Salmon patties. My mom served us those at least once a week from the canned salmon. I like how you perk them up!!

I remember when we had little plastic swimming pools for our grandkids and the dogs...

Thanks again for your visits to my blog. Always look forward to seeing you.

Polyester Princess said...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for your sister's CT scan results, Donna!
And oh, isn't that picture of Sloane having a workout with her walker the epitome of fun? The dress is gorgeous on her too!
And what a great idea your hubby has come up with for drying those bags. Great saving tip to reuse them as well, I hadn't actually thought of that.
As a non-Texan, you'll have to explain that joke, I'm afraid :-) xxx








Bill said...

Hope your sister's test results look good. Nice that you saved clothes for all those years so a new generation gets a chance to wear them. My mother used to do that to. It brings a smile to your face when you see them being worn by a new family member. Glad to hear you got a new way to dry your bags, it saves precious time. Have a wonderful rest of the week.

Ann said...

Hope your sisters test results come back with favorable results.
Love the pictures of Sloane. She looks like the happiest little baby.
Larry to the rescue for those bags. I reuse bags too. Things are getting too expensive to not get as much use out of them as you can.

Granny Marigold said...

Just lost my comment. Grrr.
I hope Ruth Ann feels a little better today and that the test results are good.
Love the little dress that used to be your granddaughter's and now Sloane can wear it. Won't she have fun in that wading pool!!!
Also like that bag dryer your husband 'made'. I dry and reuse bags too.

Terri D said...

Your sweet little Sloane is adorable!! Love the dress you saved - so pretty and so fun that she is wearing vintage!! Have a beautiful weekend!

Sandra Cox said...

Hugs to you and your sister.
My mom used to fix salmon patties:)

Mari said...

I hope Ruth Ann is doing better and that she gets some good reports. I have a friend who is just starting treatment for the same thing.
Sloane has the best smile! I love that she's wearing that outfit. Wish I had saved some things.

Margaret D said...

Praying that your sisters CT results are positive. I expect because she isn't well that she has no patience with people, she can be excused as it's a worry for her at this time.
Sloane is beautiful and how wonderful to have a dress for her that is 28 years old..if you keep things they can come in handy...
Take care.

Granny Marigold said...

Sending positive thoughts to Ruth Ann. She must be going through so much discomfort. Maybe you and she should share a gallon of your fav ice cream flavor😉😉

Granny Annie said...

It changes my personality if I forget my Lexapro. Sadly I will have outbursts at perfect strangers and my children are afraid for me. They remind me lots of persons carry guns these days. I sympathize with Ruth Ann.

Barwitzki said...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that your sister recovers. Unfortunately, her hair falls out, but the hair grows back.
A difficult time for all of you.
It's so nice to see little Sloane. What a fantastic picture.
If you want to read about the white asparagus, I replied to David on my blog... the harvest time of the white asparagus is from the end of April / mid-May - depending on the weather - until St. John's Day, June 24th.
All good wishes to you.
Greetings from Viola

Sandra Cox said...

Sweet pic of Larry and Sloane.
Have a wonderful Memorial Day.

Nasreen said...

I hope your sister's results turn out okay. Beautiful photos.

Linda said...

Keeping your sister in prayer...maybe she is just plum worn and stressed out? I lost my long thick hair when I had breast cancer--and I felt like biting folks heads off, just saying and no, it never grew back thick. sigh...anyways...thank you for the many smiles. Wishing you a beautiful weekend my friend.

ashok said...

Sweet post..Nice to see your sis here.

nonie everythingsewing said...

Prayers for you both, what a difficult time for both of you.

diane b said...

I hope your sister can get through the treatment okay and have good results. Hard time for you all. You sure have a handy hubby, he's a keeper. Sloan is a treasure and fancy keeping a dress for so long.Well done the planet needs more people like you reusing clothes and bags.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

I feel for your sister, having been there on three separate occasions. When you’re undergoing cancer treatment it is not the time to stop taking antidepressant or anxiety medication. Please encourage her to take that as directed for the sake of all concerned. Thanks for the reminder about salmon cakes. I have not made those in probably five years. I recently found a new recipe that included shrimp, so maybe I’ll make those this week. Happy memorial day!

Lowcarb team member said...

Saying a prayer for your sister as she continues her treatment.

Salmon Patties are great :)
Lovely to see Sloane using her new walker.

My good wishes.

All the best Jan

dori said...

Your sister and you look like best sisters in the wold, and you are!! I can understand, that it is a big distress to loose hair - - Stay brave, faithful and blessed all days, you and your sister and your wonderful family.. I LOVE the photo with Sloane and your dear husband:! Incredible, that you are grand-grand-parents!


dori said...

Deine Schwester und du sehen aus wie die besten Schwestern der Welt, und das seid ihr!! Ich kann verstehen, dass es eine große Belastung ist, Haare zu verlieren – – Bleibt alle Tage tapfer, treu und gesegnet, du und deine Schwester und eure wunderbare Familie. Ich LIEBE das Foto mit Sloane und deinem lieben Mann! Unglaublich, dass ihr Urgroßeltern seid!

Catherine said...

I Hope your sister will get better, these treatments are very difficult.
Little Sloane is very nice in that dress. I saved myself baby clothes from my children and I gave some to Maxime.
Maxime is alas starting to walk. The meal you have cooked looks very good! I wish you a nice week.

meandmysmallcorner said...


Although I haven't known you for long Donna, I am praying for you dear sister and all your family that there will be positive news very soon.
Sweet Sloane looks so happy in her pretty dress and sitting on grandpas lap.
Clever idea of Larry's to dry the freezer bags, mine just hang out on the washing line and drip dry over night.

Red Rose Alley said...

Your poor Sister has been through so much. I'm glad to hear the treatments are working. May God wrap around her like a blanket of comfort and love.

~Sheri