Sunday, November 19, 2023

Thanksgiving 1943...2023...USS Bulmer and a Gathering.



Good morning, friends....
Wishing all of my American friends a Happy Thanksgiving!
The photo above was the ship my Dad was on when this photo was taken in 1943...80 years ago...Dang!  Daddy was 22.   The USS D222, Bulmer (D stands for Destroyer).  He was a radioman.  I miss him something awful.  By war's end, he'd made Chief.

Warning:  Unusually long post today.  We celebrated our Thanksgiving Saturday the 18th instead of on the 23rd.  You don't need to worry about commenting about every little thing.  



Mom and Dad 1944

I'm so grateful I had these two in my life...






Larry has started treatment for his bladder cancer (post successful surgery).  
First thing he needs to do is getting a TB test...huh?  (the BCG is essentially the same as the TB bacterium.  If your test proves positive, they have to treat your TB before they can introduce it through BCG...yeah, I'm a bit confused, as well).    Yes...we go in this morning, (the 15th)  and they read it on Friday (17th) .  We have the kids up for an early Thanksgiving on the 18th then,  Larry will then begin his formal treatment on December 1st.  Every Friday, about an hour, for 6 weeks.  It's called BCG.  A bladder wash.  Suppose to eradicate any cells and keep them from coming back.  The Urologist said chemo wasn't necessary in this case...thank God!
Prayer would be much appreciated...
Update:  His TB test was negative!  Thank you for your prayer!




I found this recipe on YouTube...it's Orzo and chicken.  All I had in the cupboard was whole wheat...yuck!  Too heavy for me but Larry loves it so I was silent on the subject and just cooked it.  Next time I'm at the store, I'll grab the regular orzo. 





I ordered this cute little sticker from Amazon.  We need to get in the Spirit...and give the people behind us, something to talk about...lol







My roses are blooming like crazy in this wet and cooler weather!  





Oh yeah...I've done this.  You too, huh? Lol







Tip:
Stop wasting paper towels when cracking eggs into a recipe.  I'm the biggest offender...  What a mess that runny egg white makes!  I now just crack them onto a coffee cup plate then rinse it off.  No paper waste!  That stuff is getting so expensive.  I'm trying to go back to some of the old war time practices  (WW2) I remember Mom talking about, back in the day, when rationing was being observed.  There are all sorts of things we can do to save money and resources these days.   Here's a blog I know you'll enjoy.  It's Down to Earth by Rhonda Hetzel.  She lives on the East coast of Australia.  Her husband, Hanno, died in May of 2022 of brain cancer.  Once you begin reading, it's hard to stop! lol
So many tips and things to try.  Yes, times were also hard for us back in the Carter days...but not even close to what we're experiencing today!




Managed to get my skinny tree up...The big one is in the storeroom, up high and heavy!  I don't know exactly how Larry managed to get it up on the top shelf, but there it is.  It just might have to stay there as I don't think he needs to be lifting heavy things right now.  Samantha offered to get Everett and Tim to help get it down but I just nixed the idea...We'll do fine with just the smaller tree this year.







I found this photo on the internet.  See the framed peg board?  I love the idea!  I might have to run by Salvation Army to see if they have any old frames and then to Lowes for pegboard and hooks!  Floor space, in my so called sewing room, is limited...



I love this...



Getting my quilt project started.  These strips will be the top.  I'm done "practicing"...lol   
The strips are from two jelly rolls.

(example photo from internet, of a jelly roll)


You can buy all sorts of color combinations.  I wanted one that said, "Christmas".


This will be the backing and binding.



I made pie...


Here's the recipe for it.  I found it while reading a sweet friend's blog, Granny Marigold
It's is wonderful...Larry said it's the best cream pie he's enjoyed in a long while.
Click on the recipe to enlarge.

Oh!  Just a reminder to go check your Comment section in settings!  I checked mine and found more of your sweet comments just sitting there in the Spam folder!  I published them and deleted the spam.  That spammer Raj something or another, is a frigging pest!  All they say is, Beautiful blog...and Please read my blog...
I don't think so!  Deleted...until next time, sadly.  I know there's a way to block them but that takes more effort than I have right now, to research.

I know it's hard to read a long blog...but I'm posting photos of our get together from yesterday...I took a Five Year generational shot....Gerald (97 Larry's Dad), Larry (My Hubby 76). Crystal (daughter 50), Samantha (granddaughter 28) and our Sloane (GreatGran 15mos).  Bare with me or just say bye...it's okay.  To me, blogs are our tiny memories pieced together for future generations to read.  It's pretty well all they'll have of us.  I try to put in my "feelings" as best as I can...I think they could care less about the color of my nail polish but then again, who knows.  


 




 






 And yes, we ate off of paper plates.  First time in all my years on a formal holiday!  I must admit, it was a life saver as far as getting the kitchen cleaned up...Christmas lunch will see my Christmas dishes.


I made "real" banana pudding...no boxed pudding for us!


See what Larry made me for the toilet tanks?  I love the look!  Matches the rest of the wood in my bathroom!










After everyone had left for their journeys home, I was tidying up the bathroom when I found this beautiful note from our daughter...
I had a good cry...It's been such an emotional year...We are very close...and I really needed this...



I have no words for all the joy my family brings to me.  Nothing last forever...but I'll go down loving every minute of our times together.

Well, there it is...Another Thanksgiving in the books.  Here's to you all...my sweet blogger buddies!  I am so grateful for you!  Your stories brighten my life...open the windows, so to speak, and lets me know, I'll never be alone because I have family and you...
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving (American) and I can't wait to read all of your stories!
Until then...

36 comments:

Mari said...

This may be a long post, but it's good! Glad Larry is getting started with treatment. I never heard about that TB thing before.
I'm impressed you got your tree up. I haven't started yet - so much to do!!!
Looks like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Larry's Dad looks great and the 5 generation photo is a treasure. So is the note from your daughter!
PS - I find comments stuck in my comment section too. Crazy!

jackie said...

Just wanted to say, that my husband had that treatment also, 5 years ago,
It did get rid of any cancer that might have been left after surgery, He is still clear every time they check. Praying your love will have the same result.

Linda said...

Thank you for the many smiles and lovely photos. Keeping you both in prayer my friend. P.S. Thank you for the blog link, I shall visit her. smiles

Catherine said...

À big thank you to you for your humour and smile! I hope Larry will be better soon . It was SO nice to find your daughter’s note
You must be very happy you have such a beautiful family!

Bill said...

Nice post, Donna. You are surrounded with lots of love and I wish you the happiest of holidays for the upcoming festive season. I hope Larry's health keeps improving. It was nice seeing all your photos with the family all celebrating Thanksgiving together. Take care and thanks for sharing a part of your life.

Sandra Cox said...

Your relationship with your family, particularly your daughter, is wondrous and such a blessing.
Hugs

Ann said...

Sending prayers for Larry that all keeps going well. I would never guess that his dad is 97. He doesn't look that old.
My daughter bought those same plates and napkins for Thanksgiving. We started doing that last year. It makes things so much easier.
What a sweet note you found from Crystal.

Margaret D said...

Good luck to your husband and trust he will come through the treatment well.
Haven't heard of the TB testing before the other. I used to do TB testing on some patients in the A and E in our public hospital here many years ago, plus other things of course.
Your food does look good and tasty, I don't buy hardly any packaged food, I make things from scratch usually.
The family photos are lovely and it's a pleasure to see them.
Take care..

Back2OurSmallCorner said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and the family Donna. What a great get together. Love the generational photo-something very special.
The back window reindeer is very cute and is bound to make everyone smile.
Praying for Larry as he starts his treatment, that all will go well.
Have a great week Donna, and enjoy your quilt project x

abasozora said...

being able to be with family is really fun, our families are far apart, it takes time or moments to gather all the family

Polyester Princess said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Donna and family!
Looks like you had a most enjoyable day of early celebrations, with delicious food, that banana pudding is looking particularly scrumptious!
How sweet is your daughter's note, I'm not surprised it made you cry.
Keeping your hubby in my thoughts - what a relief he doesn't need chemo!
xxx

Lin said...

Looks like Larry's treatment is promising and will offer a good outcome. So blessed that it was caught so early!

I am waiting to see that quilt! Don't rush it though...just enjoy the process. I have two projects waiting to be cut. Now I am trying to figure out when I can sneak into the sewing room to do it.

Beautiful family! I enjoy your posts about them all. Happy Thanksgiving, Donna!

Chris said...

Lovely post and I love Rhonda's too.. your hubby is looking good, and what a great family get together for Thanksgiving, looked really special.

Jenny the Pirate said...

I love it, and you, and your family, and yes I care about it all, including the color of your nail polish! Your tree is beautiful and certainly all you need in such a busy time. WOW you made me think of banana pudding, my all-time favorite dessert. I make it about once every five years because I CANNOT resist it. I'll be up in the middle of the night, eating it right out of the big bowl. And WOW Larry's dad looks fantastic! What a handsome gentleman. A five-gen picture is truly a treasure. My mother got one when my sister Kay was a few months old! I've saved that lemon pie recipe because I never met a lemon pie I did not love. Happy Thanksgiving my dear friend! xoxo

Red Rose Alley said...

That is good news about Larry. May he get all the answers and treatment he needs during this difficult time. I love that little sticker you found on Amazon. He's so cute. So good to see your red roses still blooming. Your skinny tree is delightful, and I will always put up the colored lights on the tree. That is a special quote and picture of the lamb. And a wonderful family photo. I think Sloane prefers the doily over her head than the bow. Your banana pudding looks really good. Happy Thanksgiving, Donna.

~Sheri

Lowcarb team member said...

This was such a wonderful post.
Firstly so pleased that Larry is getting started with treatment, I will keep you both in my prayers.
Secondly, you can't beat the love and support of family can you. Wonderful family photographs you've shared.
We do not celebrate Thanksgiving here in the UK but I wish you and yours a very happy one.

All the best Jan

Granny Marigold said...

There's just so much to like about this post. The 5 generation photo...what a treasure❤ ; the picture of your parents in 1944 ( I love old B&W pictures);
your Banana Pudding ( I've been meaning to try making one), On the subject of recipes, I'm so glad you liked the Impossible Lemon pie. Today I made an Impossible Chocolate one and it's even tastier.

Have a wonderful Blessed Thanksgiving!!

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

Good morning, Donna! God bless Larry as he starts his treatments. Prayers are lifted up for him. How wonderful to have your Thanksgiving with all your family. Those paper plates sure do save time. I must say that Crystal’s sweet note brought tears to my eyes. Aren’t we lucky to have our families? Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. 🍂🧡🍁

Jeanette said...

I hadn't read Down To Earth in a loooooog time! I did not know that Hanno passed away! Loved your long post! Looks like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I would have cried my eyes out if I got a note like that from Shauna! I'm making that pumpkin crunch cake tomorrow for Thanksgiving! Hope all goes well with Larry's treatment.

Debbie Nolan said...

Oh Donna I loved reading all about your family. The picture of your mom and dad is absolutely precious. It is hard to believe our parents were ever so young. I miss my folks so much. What a precious note your daughter left for you to find. I can imagine the tears of joy when you found it. Will be praying for Larry and you as well. Thanks for sharing your wonderful Thanksgiving celebration. Take care and have a great day. Hugs!

Barb said...

Hi Donna~ I loved this post! What precious memories. I also loved all the funnies ;0) You have a beautiful family and I can tell you are a beloved mother, wife, grandmother and daughter. Thanks for the lemon pie recipe, it looks delicious! I will be busy baking tomorrow for Thanksgiving and getting things ready for the big day. Many blessings to you my friend! Hugs, Barb

diane b said...

You had a lovely Thanksgiving with your beautiful family. We don't celebrate it here but at Christmas I hope to see my family from far away Melbourne.

Visits With Mary said...

I love that sticker from Amazon, it's so cute. My brother was on a destroyer, I think it was the USS Darby. Thanks to your dad for his service♥ Enjoyed ALL your post today, it was good seeing you have a Happy Thanksgiving.

DeniseinVA said...

Sending prayers for Larry in the start of his treatment. Always interesting to read your posts Donna. You have an amazing family in both old and new photos, and the food always looks yummy! Funniest always crack me up. Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

DeniseinVA said...

That should have read the funnies always crack me up. I love auto correct! :)

dori said...

What a wonderful fmily! The Lord is blessing you all! Crystal is so thankful! Larry is as brave as you, dear Donna! GREAT! Sloane is in the middle of many loving hearts and makes all smiling. Best wishes to you all! I love the little sheep with Jesus, the best rescuer ever can happen. Many greetings and blessings to you and to your lovely family from Dori

dori said...

Was für eine wundervolle Familie! Der Herr segnet euch alle! Crystal ist so dankbar! Larry ist genauso mutig wie du, liebe Donna! GROSSARTIG! Sloane ist in der Mitte vieler liebevoller Herzen und bringt alle zum Lächeln. Euch allen wünsche ich alles Gute! Ich liebe das kleinen Schafe mit Jesus, dem besten Retter, den es je geben kann. Viele Grüße und Segen von Dori an dich und deine liebe Familie

dori said...

The photo of your parents is very important and nice!

dori said...

Das Foto deiner Eltern ist sehr wichtig und schön!

MELODY JACOB said...

oh my, that is such a cute and lovely note from Crystal.

Lee said...

I hope you're having a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend. May the joy and goodwill last through the coming year and beyond. Take good care. :)

Far Side of Fifty said...

How wonderful to have a five generation photo! They have come such a long way with Bladder Cancer, in 1986 my Dad's bladder was removed...he lived another 36 years! My best to your husband:)

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

What a wonderful photo of five generations of the family! There’s not all that many families that can get photos like that. The best of luck to Larry with his treatments.

Jennyff said...

I can feel the love that surrounds you in that lovely post, makes me happy that you have that in your life and share it with us. Good wishes coming from Yorkshire for Larry mad big hugs to you all.

Barwitzki said...

A sunny snowflake greeting to you... so beautiful with us today.
The photo of your parents is wonderful. Memories so precious to us.
All good wishes for Larry from me.
Happy sewing for you, I also have a quilting project in the works.
It's relatively new to me and a lot of fun.
Thank you for your great family photos...
My baked cake has been eaten and today we are having guinea fowl for dinner.
A hug for you. Viola

Wanda said...

Oh Donna, I haven't been over to visit for al while. I loved your Long Post. Every word every picture was a treat.
The first picture of your Dad and Mom was a shock, as I have a picture of my dad and mom, and I mom is wearing that dress and shoes. 1940's.

You have such a beautiful family. Thanks for sharing them.

You food is making me drool all over my keyboard !!

Sending hugs
Wanda