Monday, December 18, 2023

Christmas...Cookies, Quilts and Kids.



Good Morning, Friends!
Well, Christmas will be here before I do another post so, I just want to wish you all a Very Merry Christmas!  
These are busy days for most so if you're not done with your shopping, be safe out there!  Look around when getting out of your car...keep your purse or wallet secured while shopping and never turn your back on your buggy!  
I was once in Walmart shopping and had my bag sitting and unzipped... (yes, I was an idiot) and had my back turned towards something on a shelf and when I suddenly turned back to my buggy...there, staring at me, was a young woman reaching for my bag...All I could say was, "I wouldn't if I were you..."  (I was younger and quite capable of defending myself).
We had a "Come to Jesus meeting" in those few seconds of time...and I realized how stupid I had been leaving my bag alone and handy to grab by any self-respecting thief. 
  Totally my fault...but no more.  I'm a quick learner.  She smiled that "busted" kind of smile...turned on her heel and slowly walked away.  I didn't stop shaking until I was safely locked inside my car...


Internet photo...not my bag.  But I never fail to clip my bag to the buggy.  Zipped.  
Those straps aren't just for babies...
Isn't it sad we have to take such precautions?  It might never happen to you but just don't take a chance.  
Never used to be this bad...









What's a post without our sweetie-pie Sloane? lol



Anyway, my shopping is nearly at the finish.  I have another gift I want to get for our son in law.  The kids are coming here for early morning breakfast of biscuits & sausage gravy.  And an egg quiche of some sort...I'll make desserts and candy.  Hot coffee and chocolate, of course...The girls will bring their treats and we'll just enjoy a Christmas morning together.  We had them all for Christmas lunch last year so now it's our turn to let them go to Everett's family celebration lunch.  I remember all the places we had to go to on Christmas Day so long ago...so fun.




I've made a small test batch of these Oatmeal No-Bake cookies.  We really like them!  I'll make more for Christmas. 





Then, I made some Lace cookies I found on Martha Stewart's baking site... Larry liked them, but I don't really care for this batch because I used dark brown sugar and should have used light brown!  Too much molasses!  They never really got crisp. 





I also got busy and sewed two of the four panels of my quilt together.  I was sick this past week and didn't go anywhere so I managed a bit of sewing.  And no... not perfect but I'm continuing on and will complete the thing! lol




I don't throw these clippings away...saving them for the birds and animals who are still here to use in their nest or beds.





I found this old slide of Larry and I that was taken while we were on a Caribbean cruise in 1980.  I managed to put it on my phone and use my limited skills to make it "seeable"...lol...gads, we were infants! Larry was already turning grey at 26.






Speaking of Larry, another treatment done...the next will be on the 22nd.  He is continuing to do well!  Thank you for your prayers and...Thank you, Jesus!



Our Air Force granbabies that won't be with us this year...Sara and Tylar (stationed in Hungary) and....



Alyssa, William and Wesley (Alyssa's service furrbaby)  stationed in Arkansas.

God, how we miss them...



This never fails to make me smile...




Well Friends, until next time, May you all enjoy your Christmas...and may God keep you all wrapped in His loving arms.


28 comments:

Bill said...

Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas filled with peace and love. Have a great one, Donna.

Lin said...

Merry Christmas! Looks like you have everything ready and planned. How nice! We are slowly getting there. Working on the train this week....

Can't believe the purse story. Wait...yes, I can. I agree, it IS worse now. Especially if you live in areas where they don't prosecute, like Chicago. It's a free-for-all. A suggestion: Carry just a small card holder in an inside pocket of your jacket when shopping. Then you won't have to worry about having anything of value or importance in the cart...it's tucked safely inside where nobody can just grab it. This is especially important as we age and may be easily knocked over in the case of a purse grab. Good for pumping gas too. It's a shame we have to think like this...but it is what it is.

Red Rose Alley said...

I'm so glad to hear Larry is doing well with his treatments. I don't have a problem with people trying to take my purse in the stores - I usually just bring in my card nestled in my pocket haha. Sloane is darling in her red sweater and bow. Oh, those oatmeal no-bake cookies look scrumptious. That's really nice that you keep the clippings from your quilt and save them for the birds and animals for their shelters. A cute picture of you and Larry. And lastly, I love those Santa pictures. You don't see those old-fashioned photos anymore, and they sure are wonderful. They remind me of what the original Santa looks like. You know, the Santa character that we grew up with. ; )

Merry Christmas Donna, to you and your family.

~Sheri

photowannabe said...

And God keep you wrapped in His loving arms too, Along with your entire family.
Loved the story of your purse"theft". I always wear my cross-body purse when I go any where. I find it safer and less tempting for others.
Those lace cookies remind me of some my Mom use to make. They were so good. I had forgotten about them.I probably won't be on blogger until after Christmas too since we will be away for some of the time. Different but fun all the same.
Merry Christmas
Sue

Polyester Princess said...

Merry Christmas Donna and Larry, and family, of course!
I'm really impressed that you've got everything planned and that your shopping is nearly finished, and that in spite of being ill!
I bet you'll miss your absent Air Force gran-babies though :-(
Great idea to keep the fabric off-cuts for the birds. They'll be having stylish nests come Spring! xxx

DeniseinVA said...

Worrisome! I had a similar incident years ago. A woman took off with my cart and purse, but fortunately I had it in my peripheral vision. I turned and said that’s my cart and she looked mad at me. I gave her the benefit of the doubt, but there was no other cart nearby to mistake mine for. I checked and told the store manager so that he could be aware, just in case. I made sure to tell him it might have been unintentional. A lot of our supermarkets closed off one door and had someone on the left-open one in our area because of heavy losses with shoplifting. I noticed they are back to two doors again. I guess that’s a good sign. Thank you for sharing the strap tip. I had no idea it could be used for handbags too. Your tree is beautiful, and the yummies are yummy. The quilt is coming along great. A lovely photo of you and Larry. So glad he is doing well with his treatments. Sweet photos of your family. Thanks for the snowman smiles and those pretty illustrations you share. Merry Christmas to you, Larry and the rest of the family.

Jennyff said...

Pleased that you and I are both more or less on top of the festive preparations. Hope this week is peaceful and you all have a wonderful Christmas.

dori said...

Though not all members of your phantastic family cannot be with you on Christmas, you will feel the warm love in your heart and feel happy, that they are present in your mind.
Larry and you were wonderful couple and still you are!!
You made a fine patchwork-blancet. I hope you are completely fit now again.
I wish you a blessed and happy Christmas. Praise the Lord!
Many greetings from Dori from the Favarian Forest
P.S.: No post without sweet Sloane!

dori said...

Obwohl nicht alle Mitglieder deiner fantastischen Familie an Weihnachten bei euch sein können, wirst du die warme Liebe in deinem Herzen spüren und glücklich sein, dass sie in deinem Geist präsent sind.
Larry und du wart ein wundervolles Paar und ihr seid es immer noch!!
Du hast eine schöne Patchworkdecke gemacht. Ich hoffe, dass du jetzt wieder vollkommen fit bist.
Ich wünsche euch ein gesegnetes und frohes Weihnachtsfest. Preiset den Herrn!
Viele Grüße von Dori aus dem Bayrischen Wald
P.S.: Kein Beitrag ohne die süße Sloane!

Back2OurSmallCorner said...

Merry Christmas to you Donna, and to Larry and the rest of your lovely family. God bless you all as we head into the New Year.
Lovely photo of you and Larry.
Hugs x

Mari said...

I love your tree! And Sloane is cute as every.
What a crazy thing with the purse. Glad you turned when you did. I never thought of using the straps like that, but now I will!

Ann said...

OMG, I love the picture of you and Larry.
I try to be very careful about turning my back on my purse in the stores. Even while in line and unloading a cart I usually pull my purse into the lower area where it can't be reached.
Wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas.

Wanda said...

Wonderful Christmas Post and Pictures. I was in Trader Joe's a few days ago and and as I came in the front door a security guard asked me to be sure to keep purse safe. I had it over my shoulder and zipped, and he said glad you have it secure. They had several thefts and I thought, even in a small Trader Joes.. You never know.

The Santa pictures with the cats and dogs makes my smile.

Merry and Blessed Christmas to you and yours.

Sandra Cox said...

Love your card...and no bake cookies;)
Glad Larry's treatments are doing well.
Sorry you were sick. Hope you are taking care of yourself.
Hugs and Happy Holidays,

Jenny the Pirate said...

Oh mercy that snowman cartoon made me laugh out loud. I stole it and sent it to all of my kids. Isn't that just the way? Some innocuous action performed for what you think is your own good, and next thing you know, you're up in flames, haahahaa! YES to securing your purse in the grocery cart. I do the same and I'm so cautious. I've lectured my girls on being similarly suspicious. t is sad that we must be so wary. In fact I am weary of being so wary. We were just talking about those oatmeal no-bake cookies last night. I dare not make them because the taste and texture of them are the closest thing I will ever come again in this life to the REAL fudge my Papaw used to make. When I say REAL I mean that his fudge did not involve chocolate chips, marshmallow fluff, velveeta ... UGH just NO and don't @ me because I will not budge on the subject of fudge. It was REAL homemade candy, dotted with bits of pecan and the most heavenly taste that I will never forget. Anyway, those cookies taste the same way due to the fact that they are made with COCOA for which there is no substitute. Anyway, Thank You Jesus for the progress Larry is making. What an answer to prayer. In that long-ago picture it appears to be a May-December romance, hahaha! I wonder that the law didn't stop y'all and ask if you were his daughter! You look like a baby and he certainly looks older than 26! So funny. Merry Christmas to you and Larry and Crystal and Tim and Samantha and Everett and baby Sloane and William and all of the others. Be safe and warm and shower one another with love throughout the holiday! I know that you will. xoxo

Margaret D said...

Lovely post Donna.
Nice photos of the family too.
Merry Christmas to you and your family - and a Happy New Year.

Linda said...

Oh wow on that situation of your purse, I hang on to mine, even when it's in the cart...my husband has a habit of walking off or away ---I shall refrain further, grin. Have beautiful Merry Christmas!

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Great photos of everyone, and those cookies look tasty. I didn’t make a single cookie this year. Fortunately, I have people who like to give them to me. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Catherine said...

Merry Christmas to you and your family!
Unfortunately I will not go to my daughter and will stay home not feeling well with this horrible covid!

Granny Annie said...

Donna this is a very enjoyable post. I want you to know that I always strap my purse in the shopping basket. Oh those poor snowmen they are doomed.

Linda said...

Merry Christmas to you and all and I hope the next year(s) is blessed. The last two Christmases I've been in Fairbanks, AK, so it's a real treat to be someplace where the temps are 60.

Henny Penny said...

Such a beautiful beautiful Christmas post. Love all your pictures. Your tree is simply beautiful. You have a beautiful family and that little Sloane is adorable! Merry Christmas!!

Lowcarb team member said...

Lovely family photographs, and I always enjoy seeing sweet Sloane.
That's a beautiful looking tree.

Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas.

All the best Jan

Granny Marigold said...

I'm just popping by to wish you and Larry a wonderful Christmas. Great picture of the two of you looking so young. Hard to believe it was so long ago. Where did the time go?
Sorry some of your dear ones can't be present for Christmas. No doubt it will be hard for them too. Give sweet Sloane an extra hug...I look forward to her smiling face on your posts 💗💗💗 GM

MELODY JACOB said...

Merry Christmas to you too! Thank you for the reminder to stay vigilant during this busy season. It's unfortunate that we need to be cautious, but your experience serves as a good lesson. Wishing you a joyful and safe holiday season, full of warmth, laughter, and good company.

Visit https://www.melodyjacob.com/2023/12/what-i-would-love-to-be-gifted-for-Christmas-and-new-year.html

ashok said...

Merry Christmas my friend

diane b said...

Sloane sure is a sweety pie. The old photos are a great memory you look so young.Glad to hear Larry s responding to treatment. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas with the family that is available.

diane b said...
This comment has been removed by the author.