Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Chicken, Market Day, and Hello...


Good morning, Friends...
Well, another week has flown by.  I think I blinked twice, and it was gone!  Yet again, we weren't all that busy.
Larry did some grilling (I really should get back out there and re-familiarize myself with the grill) of some really tasty chicken thighs.
My sister Ruth Ann goes in for her last chemo this coming Monday (17th).  A new plan will be discussed about needing more chemo or if she's totally done with that part of treatment.  There's also the plans for re-attaching her colon and doing away with the colostomy bag (hopefully!) to be discussed.  We have no idea at this point.  Just praying the cancer is gone (the oncologist says it is) and stays gone!



Chicken thighs



We decided we'd jump in the car and travel south to our favorite country meat market, Green's Sausage House.  Usually, at this time of the year, we'd see different crops in the fields...corn, maize, cotton, wheat.  But, to our surprise...there was nothing but corn in the fields!  Nothing...just miles and miles of...corn.  Anyone know why this is?  We don't...
Curious...


 

We finally make it to Green's.  SO many different choices....They constantly stay busy and we never venture to the market on a Saturday!  Too busy for us!




The back yard is starting to fill back in nicely...All that burnt up last season grass, is being taken over by the new grass seed Larry spread out, several months ago.  The roses I planted are growing great...new growth on them all.  They are a bit spindly...so I'll need to prune them back in February.  I'm not sure if I can do it sooner here in the South.



A while back, I decided I'd had enough of fluoride in my toothpaste.  You hear so many bad things about all the commercial toothpaste being caustic and full of cancer-causing fluoride.  Well, I decided to finally change products!   Instead of Crest I found (after a lot of research) a product called Hello.  Oh my goodness!  What a difference!  The taste of mint is very mild and pleasant...you get none of that tingly burning feeling (not a good thing!) in your mouth that those other paste give you!  And you don't get all that foam!  So messy...  
I found Hello at Walmart.
I may be 71 but it's never too late!





Lol...


Our sweetpea, Sloane... (greatgran)


 

Sloaneygirl  and Gampa, having a heart-to-heart
 chat...lol





Larry and I laughed at this one...too true, for us! lol





Meatloaf for lunch yesterday.  Larry put Sweet Baby Ray's instead of catsup on top.  He put a bit too much on it, but I didn't say anything...hey!  If your man is cooking, you take one for the team!  I secretly did a little scraping without him noticing...and smiled... lolol
Hoping this finds you all happy and content.  So...until next time...

25 comments:

Lin said...

The food always looks so good here! :) I read that fluoride is good for your teeth as long as you don't swallow it. I can't keep up with everything that once was good and is now bad.

Red Rose Alley said...

I hope all goes well with Ruth Ann, and she gets all the answers and care that she needs. The thighs and meatloaf look delicious, and what a great meat market that is. Looks like a big selection, and I'm eyeing the sausage. ; ) I like the quote with the man and little girl. It reminded me of a movie I just watch, Tulsa. The sweetest girl came into her dad's life, and they somehow made it work. She was a blessing for sure. That's such a treasured photo of Sloane and grandpa. Oh, I wish you'd frame that one. I hear it's pretty hot in Texas, please try to stay cool.

~Sheri

Jeanette said...

Those chicken thighs look really good! I hope yur sisters appointment goes well and she gets her colostomy bag removed. I never thought of putting Sweet Baby Rays on my meatloaf but I'm going to try it now! Just a little!!!LOL! Such a sweet picture of Sloane and Gampa! I'm going to check for that toothpaste the next time I'm at Wal Mart!

Bill said...

Hope your sister's appointment goes well and she gets good news. Larry and Sloane having a conversation is priceless. Have a great week, Donna.

Ann said...

That chicken sure looks tasty. I miss having someone to do the cooking.
I'm laughing like crazy at the one about the 4 year old having her dad in a dress...lol
Sloane is looking adorable as always.
Hope all goes well for your sisters doctor appointment.

photowannabe said...

Priceless treasures are the pictures of Larry and sweet Sloane. I agree that it's a wall hanger.
Umm, I love grilled chicken with Sweet Baby Ray on it. Looks delish.
I've seen that picture of the two Oldies but Goodies and thought it was Dave and I...HaHaHaHa... Love the gondola driver's expression.
Stay cool
Sue

Granny Marigold said...

I'm so glad Ruth Ann is doing so well.
It almost looks like Sloane is trying to brush her teeth with the tiny hair brush :)
That Hello toothpaste sounds like a great idea. I wonder if Walmarts here in Canada have that product.
Have a great rest of the week.

Margaret D said...

Good luck to your sister and hoping all goes well.
Love those signs, they do make me smile and giggle.

Jennyff said...

The travel poster is so true, today MrFF and I are beyond exhausted and somewhat irritable. Having said that we currently have friends staying nearby from the USA both in their 80s who never stop travelling and seem able to keep awake.

Granny Annie said...

Thoughts and prayers for Ruth to have excellent reports.

Red Rose Alley said...

Would you believe I like the name Lemon too? I heard it on a tv show I was watching one day. One of the girls was making fun of the other academy girl who's name was Lemon, and I thought, "hey, that's a cute name." haha. Thanks for sharing, and I'll be sure to tell Jess all the names that were mentioned by friends. It hasn't been an easy time for name picking this year. Not a lot of good ones out there. ; )

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

I hope all will go well with Ruth Ann and she will be cancer free. Your grandchild is adorable. The chicken thighs looks so delicious.

Kay G. said...

I do wonder about that corn...maybe more money for farmers to grow corn? Is it being made into oil for export? And Hello! I was just wishing for a better toothpaste! Wal-Mart, here I come!

Debbie Nolan said...

Donna - so glad to meet you. Happy to find your lovely blog. Your great gran baby is absolutely adorable. Loved the funny picture of (not waiting until you retire to travel)...that is certainly hubby and I. Hope your rest of the week is wonderful. God Bless

Sandra Cox said...

Nothing but corn for miles and miles. Are you sure you didn't take a wrong turn and end up in Illinois. Heh.
Hugs

Lowcarb team member said...

I so agree the weeks fly by so quickly!

Keeping Ruth Ann in my prayers ...

Lovely photographs of sweet Sloane.

All the best Jan

Jenny the Pirate said...

Haaahaha the peas in the potatoes made me laugh and I would have SLATHERED SBR all over my meatloaf too although I am quite partial to ketchup. Have you tried Heinz NO SUGAR ADDED ketchup? It is delicious and just a tad more expensive than regular. And I am definitely going to try HELLO toothpaste and get some for TG's bathroom too. I hate fluoride and we are in an Aim Toothpaste rut for sure. We get 95% of our meat at a local meat market and we love it! We're lucky that it's just down the road. TG does all the meat shopping for me. Have a great end of the week, Donna! xoxo

Polyester Princess said...

Keeping my fingers crossed for your sister!
I'm not sure I'll be able to find Hello here in Belgium, but I'll definitely shop around for something similar. Thank you for the tip!
Oh and how sweet is that photo of Sloane and Larry! xxx

nonie everythingsewing said...

I pray for your sister. I now it is possible to be free of cancer and I so hope that will be her out come. Now, I am hungry, sure does look good!!

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

I have also heard that the floride they are putting in our water and our toothpaste is not as great for you as they have touted over the years. I may have to try this hello brand!

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Donna. Sure hope that your sister has good news about her cancer. In the past, I have heard that fluoride is not so good for us, but I didn't know there were any alternatives to regular fluoride toothpaste. I will have to check that out. It is so nice that your husband helps with the cooking. Glad your week is going well. See you again soon!

Catherine said...

I Hope your sister’s health will be back to normal .
Sloane is always so cute , I won’t see my Maxime in august his mother expecting another baby cannot travel, but we are going to see him in Dubai in November when it is cooler.
Your cooking looks very GOOD!

Barwitzki said...

Divine...
and yes, Venice is the hit :-)))
And the chicken thighs to bite into :-)
I got pies in the oven and a pot of turkey drumstick on the stove... joy.
Many wonderful greetings to you from Viola

Barwitzki said...

All the best wishes to your sister.
hug

Sandra Cox said...

Hope Ruth Ann has kicked cancer's butt and it will never be an issue again.
Have a great weekend.
Hugs