Wednesday, March 29, 2023

English Muffins and Ultrasounds...and Tony

 
Good Morning friends...It's time to check in with you.  It's been a busy few days here.  First of all, Larry (hubby) made English muffins!  He's so handy that way.  They are wonderful and not filled with all those harmful ingredients you can't even pronounce the names of...
 

              He just follows the recipe and goes for it.  Buttered and toasted, spells, wonderful! 


Here we are leaving Hubby's Ultrasound appointment.  Results were back within two days...yes, as the doctor thought, he has cholecystitis, in layman's terms, gall stones.  SO...our doctor wants to refer him to a surgeon...well...my response to that suggestion is an emphatic, no.
I know, in my heart, surgery will always be the last resort!  It should never be the first.  He's had only one bout with pain.  I've done a lot of research and feel he needs bile salts...which increases bile which breaks down gall stones which are made out of cholesterol...simplest explanation. We will try the natural way, First!  Also starting a Keto lifestyle...It's no longer considered a Diet when saving the gallbladder is in order.
 
 

Now who might this be??  Lolol, you knew our SloaneyGirl would be in my post, somewhere!


We left Waco and headed for Marlin, Texas, for a little Mexican fare.  I graduated nursing school at Torbett-Hutchensen hospital back in 1976 and couldn't remember what was at this location, if anything so...reading Linda's blog, I saw it was open for business...so we headed that way.  By the time we'd finished eating, I remembered I hadn't taken a photo of our food!lol...sorry, but we were hungry!


Then, we headed West onto hwy 7 heading to Green's sausage house.  We buy a lot of our meat there.


Back home in record time...time enough for me to head out to my sister's house to visit with our Candy!  Ruth Ann says, "Not for another week", so...we wait.  She recognizes me now and can't wait to play.  That's her sister at her elbow...a little black one. Also a little brother lounging in the background... I wish I could take them all home!



Afternoon early supper...chicken thighs.

                

We bought a new kitchen sink faucet at Lowes...here's Larry doing his Plumber Thing, installing it...so glad to have married a plumber!  Has saved us thousands of dollars...No Larry!  You can't have pie as payment!lol

 
 
 Love the new design...$215.00 tax included at Lowes..Just think what the plumber would have cost, in addition!  I'm blessed and I know it.
 
 
 
 
And yes...I made Cinnamon rolls before we knew about Larry's ultrasound results.  But, he can still have one as a treat, occasionally.  
 


They were pretty darn tasty!


 
 
Did you know, if you coated your bacon in flour, it absorbs grease and becomes crisper?  I tried it and we love it!  And yes, Larry can eat fatty meats...fat helps produce more bile!  Which is what you want.  What you don't want are foods high in carbs.  
 


 Very Good and crunchy!
 
Well...that's about all for me today...Hope you all are happy and safe, which brings me to the saddest of all my news.
 
This man is Antonio Juan Martinez.  He has been with our company for over 35 years...One of the sweetest souls you'd ever want to meet.  He was our Warehouse Manager.  He had just turned 70 in January.  Looking forward to a happy retirement.  I remember the day I took this photo...he was always joking and laughing...just a sweet spirit...we loved him...part of the Staas family.
Tony and his wife Felipa, 59, were killed, Sunday night,  by Felipa's son, Matias Saucedo, 25...he stabbed them both to death over an argument about a window unit air conditioner Matias had taken and pawned...for drugs.
Tony and the son were arguing about it when the mother stepped in to try to stop the fight, when her son (previous marriage) stabbed them both...just because he wanted her dead , as well,  he told the police at the scene.
Tony died at the scene and Felipa later died at the hospital.
We are heartbroken...
 

 Tell your family every chance you get, that you love them...without fail!
 
Sorry for the sad ending...Until next time...
 

32 comments:

Sooze said...

I am so sorry for the completely unnecessary loss of your friend.

I too have gallstones, multiple (small) ones that I've had for years and years. They cause me few, if any, problems so I don't consider I need to have them removed.

Visits With Mary said...

Yes, surgery should be a last resort. Hope all goes well for him. Candy is adorable, she's going to be a sweet dogbaby. Your new faucet looks great, we got a new one from Lowes just a short while ago.

Hootin Anni said...

My goodness...how tragic to have loss of lives over such a petty argument!!
I will definitely have to try the flour over bacon...do I dredge them maybe?
Those cinnamon rolls look so sweet...sweet, but not as sweet as 'Candy' and Sloane of course!!

Hope the home remedy works out for the gallstones.

Bill said...

There is way too much violence over petty issues. I'm so sorry to read such a sad story about your friend and his wife. About surgery, I totally agree with you, that would be my last option too. Have a wonderful day, Donna.

Lin said...

I'm shocked at your friend's death! How absolutely awful and tragic to die so violently for drugs or money...or ANYTHING. I'm so very sorry. I pray they didn't suffer long or see the other one suffer. No one should die afraid.

I'm happy to see you not rush into surgery. I'm a huge advocate of trying to modify your diet to make changes in your body. I wish you success. Doctors hate that you, you know. They get very little nutrition and diet training...but, boy oh boy...they are always keen on drugs, testing, and surgeries. I go to a functional medicine nutritionist who has really helped me. I had a doctor roll his eyes when I told him that. Whatever. Good luck, Larry!!

Jeanette said...

I'm so sorry about the awful and tragic death of your friend. That is a beautiful faucet! Not as beautiful as baby Sloane, though! I may have to stop reading your blog because I swear I gain weight looking at the delicious food! XO

Ann said...

Oh my, what a tragic and shocking death. So very sorry for the loss of your friend.
I totally agree about not jumping right in to surgery.If you can fix it another way, I say try that first.

Mari said...

What a sad thing, so very senseless.
I agree - no rushing to surgery.
Your cinnamon rolls look so yummy. :)
My hubby is not a plumber, but can fix anything - electrical, plumbing, carpentry - such a blessing!

Chatty Crone said...

So many wonderful things to talk about.
He made those English muffins from scratch?
Sorry about your husband's gall stones - I hope they disappear.
Sloane is beautiful.
I would take Candy's sister!
Marrying a plumber is fantastic.
Those cinnamon rolls look to die for!
And flour on bacon - can you taste it after it is cooked?

I am so very sorry about your dear friend. How needless. Why or why?

Margaret D said...

Oh my goodness, the last story of your post, how dreadful.
All the cooking and preparations are looking good and no, I didn't know about the flour on bacon, will try it as I do love crispy bacon not this watery stuff we get down here.
I've had my gall bladder out, was several years ago now, no problems.

Catherine said...

The English muffins are super! Candy is very sweet I am sur you are impatient to get her.
It’s very sad for your friends, with drugs people became crazy.
I did not know for the bacon it’s a good idea.

NanaDiana said...

Oh, Donna. My heart is breaking for the husband/wife that were killed. It is just so hard to rationalize how someone can be that strung out to lose all sense of what is right and wrong. I am sure he will pay for it but might never come to terms with the depths of his depravth ity.

Glad your hubby may not need surgery. We had a friend that had such a severe attack he stepped out of his car looking for relief and into the path of an oncoming car. It has haunted me for years.

Will try the bacon trick! xo Diana

Polyester Princess said...

How utterly heartbreaking that Tony and his wife lost their lives in such a horrific way!
I'm definitely with you in that surgery should be the last option, not the first, and I'm glad you're taking the matter in hand.
Sweet photo of your gorgeous Sloane, and Candy too of course!
Great tip about the bacon, and your new faucet is fabulous! xxx

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Donna. What a sad and tragic thing for your friend and employee Tony to be murdered by his stepson. Way too many horrific things happen in our society. I hope that all the things you are trying will help your husband's gallstones! I like your new faucet. My husband is NOT a plumber so we had to pay to get a new faucet installed last year and it was over $700! Pictures of Sloane and your puppy and so darling. It's always good to hear about what is going on with you. See you again soon!

Lowcarb team member said...

Oh my goodness what a sad ending to your post, it's horrific.

On a more positive note that is a sweet photograph of 'SloaneyGirl'

I hope your husbands gallstones problems soon improve.

All the best Jan

Catherine said...

Hello Donna,
I am going to stay in a tiny house for three days for Easter weekend it’s our son’s gift for our Christmas.have a nice day. Catherine

Granny Annie said...

You moved from an informative, happy, joyful blog post to a tragic tale. What are we going to do about the mentally ill persons in our society?

Granny Marigold said...

I am so very sorry about your friend Antonio. What a dreadful end for what sounds like a sweet man.

I've made English Muffins and they did not look as nice as Larry's by far. In fact I never tried again.
The cinnamon buns look absolutely wonderful. Guess what I'm making tomorrow???

Latane Barton said...

I'm with you on that, Donna. run from the surgery as long as you can. Girl, I am so jealous... love english muffins and Larry seems to be a master maker. I've never even thought of trying to make them. I bet they are scrumptous.

Mevely317 said...

I'm so sorry about your friend. So much anger and violence out there; these are scary times for sure.

Good on your hubby! My (former) handman/(still) husband used to be able to perform most plumbing tasks. Unfortunately, however, his last surgery mandated we call a plumber last Fall. Gotta say, it was worth every cent.

That's a great tip about the bacon. Going forward I'm going to do that, too.

Sandra Cox said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend and his wife. That's ghastly. Many condolences.
Larry's muffins look wondrous.
Hugs

Debbie said...

What a tragic story. I'm so sorry you have lost your friend and his wife. There are just no words for evil that lives inside a person.

And I hope you can get your husband's health back on track without surgery. That would be wonderful!

Linda said...

Oh my gosh...I am totally shocked and saddened by the loss of Tony and his wife. I am so so sorry...I had a breast ultrasound Friday, and I am proud to say I am 14 years cancer free...and as for Larry and to not getting a pie (grin)...wishing you a beautiful weekend.

Red Rose Alley said...

Donna. I'm so sorry to hear this about your friend. What a terrible thing to happen. It's so sad. Your cinnamon rolls look amazing. I want one with my coffee this morning. And I noticed the turquoise vase in the background. It looks like a Pioneer Woman item. I love that. I'm sorry to hear Larry has gallstones. Yes, I would look into the natural ways for treatment before surgery. How wonderful that he made homemade English Muffins! Your faucet looks very nice. When I moved into this house, my brother painted and got new faucets for all the sinks, and I was so thankful for that. Makes all the difference. And little Sloane just makes my heart happy when I see pics of her. Take care, Donna. You have much going on lately.

~Sheri

photowannabe said...

Oh my goodness, such pain and heartache. Those murders were so awful. I am so sorry for all of you.
I do hope the Keto diet will work for your hubby. Better to not have surgery but after so many attacks and the awful pain I am glad I had mine removed.
Keep us updated on his progress.
Love sweet Sloane.
Sue

Lee said...

Oh! My Goodness! I was all smiles until your devastating news about your co-worker and his wife. How terribly sad...so very upsetting.

Candy is eager to join you. She is divine. And, the lovely Sloane gets lovelier every day. What a little beauty she is.

A good friend of mine is on the Keto diet. I agree with you...try every avenue making the operating table the last one! My best wishes to Larry...I hope he turns the corner to complete wellness very soon.

Take care. :)

dori said...

You have a wonderful family, dear Donna!

I'm very sorry about your dear friend.

Life sometimes is nearly too hard.. Hugs from Dori

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

Oh my goodness, Donna, I just gasped when I read about the stabbing. How very, very sad, and I’m so sorry how this sweet couple had to die.
On a happy note, your Sloane gets cuter and cuter. I hope all goes well with your hubby. I like your approach, too. Much better to try other things first. Happy Easter!

Sandra Cox said...

I did not know about bile salts.
Those cinnamon rolls look to die for.
Hugs

DeniseinVA said...

Such a horrifying tragedy reading about your friend Antonio and his wife. I am so very sorry for these dear people. Such a heinous act and so very shocking these things happen to such good people.

Your husband is very talented from making the English Muffins to fixing the plumbing. Those muffins look divine! I hope the natural remedies help with his health issues. SloaneyGirl Is as adorable as ever and I can see Candy will be a very welcome addition to your family. All the food looks very yummy! Great tip on the bacon, thank you!

Sally said...

Oh goodness gracious, Donna. I'm so sorry you lost a friend and his wife. I cannot imagine the pain the family is in. I can't for a minute understand someone being so hateful to shoot unless in self defense. May the Lord bless and keep the family and friends.

Well, I can understand the pain Larry was in and hopefully with your knowledge of food, and being a nurse, will keep him from surgery. This brings me to years ago being in the hospital for quite a while. I was scheduled for release the next morning and low & behold that night I fainted in the shower. Don't know how long I lay there but someone found me and yes, guess what, I had multiple gallstones. Who knew? Not me or them until then. The surgery back then was horrific, cut from one side to the other. Now of course they've made if less painful. But, yes Larry, listen to your wife and do what she says; I'm sure (and hope) no more attacks.

Love you.
xoxo

Sally said...

Oh wait, I meant I love you Donna, not Larry. LOLOL