Saturday, March 4, 2023

Fish and Chips? And a Scarlet Letter?


Good morning!  Larry and I went to meet friends for dinner at a place, in town, named Fish City Grill yesterday evening.  They were packed.  As in super busy.  When we were finally seated (45-minute wait), the waitress asked if this was our first time there...Larry replied for all of us, yes.  A few minutes later the head "chef" brought out a small plate of different samples of the restaurants fare.  Four soups and a hardy gumbo.  They were really good.  That's why I'm confused about the entrees we ordered...Fish and Chips.  Can't go wrong with that, can you?  Well, I saw that you can...go wrong, that is.  A few cold chips and mushy fish.  Not a "crunch" in the bunch.  Okay, they're new but, even I know...as a somewhat experienced cook, that egg added to flour and milk, and deep fried, doesn't stay crisp...as it cools, it becomes...chewy, doughy.  You need a tempura batter for crispness... So as our orders waited for the server to unite us, they, alas...began to cool. 
 $20.00 a plate times four...equals $80.00+tax plus drinks at $3.49 for one coke and three glasses of lemon and iced water equals $86.60 or 71.96 Pound Sterling.
  See where I'm going with this?   
We will certainly wait for the restaurant to become well established before going back.  The gumbo was really good as was the jalapeรฑo potato soup samples.  We will return for those but as hubby Larry noticed..."I never saw any rice being served with the gumbo...sacrilege ".Lol
Oh well...it felt good to get out and see our friends, have a beer and coffee next door at our friends son's establishment, Lounge93...(a classy meeting place, not a lizard lounge...lol) and allow our minds to "take a break".



Say hello to our new addition to the family!  We don't have her yet...maybe another month...  My sister's pug "accidentally was allowed to breed with Tuff...the French bulldog.  Throughout all of Ruth Ann's illness, we didn't realize the dogs had "mingled" which led to an unsanctioned union...lolol...The couple that are feeding Ruth Ann's dogs (she raises pugs or did before the cancer happened), came up to the house and told her they heard squealing coming from inside the enclosed kennel.  Upon investigation, three tiny babies were found with their loving momma, Mitzi.  So, up to the house came the momma and sweet babies!  


This is the perpetrator, Tuff, the Frenchie.  I'm actually happy he chose to "jump the fence" to find love.  Otherwise, I wouldn't have little Lucy? Frankie? Candy? Cookie? Lemon? Apple? 
Help!  I need a name for a girl puglet/frenchie! lol


This is Miss Mitzi...I looked for the Scarlet Letter but gladly, didn't find one.  She is a wonderful mother to the babies.  And don't worry, I opened the door to her kennel after I took this photo because if I had done it before I took it, it wouldn't have gotten took! lolol 
She's a licker and a kisser...a sweetheart. 
The wee ones are about 2 weeks old.



This post wouldn't be complete without our baby Sloane in it!


A blueberry and peach tart I'd made a while back...seriously good.




I guess I'll be going to jail for keeping this bag of cornmeal in my freezer...You know, the "powers that be" totally eradicated Aunt Jamima's face from all products bearing her photo?  How dare "they"!!   She was a hard worker and deserves recognition for it!  I'm so tired of the PC police...
I know it was a brand-named photo but still...For all the Jamima's out there, they hold a special place in my Southern heart.






Hope you all have a sweet and peaceful weekend...


30 comments:

Hootin Anni said...

Dog name(she's a sweetheart by the way) ...maybe Mon Cherie
(Cherie for short -French for
sweetheart).

Great post as always. Sloane is adorable (I know I don't need to tell you that). The fish & chips look mighty tasty.

Mari said...

The fish and chips look good - sorry that they weren't!
That puppy is adorable! A very cute surprise.
I agree about Aunt Jemima. I'm sick of woke and PC too.
Yes - we need a little Sloane in every post!

Sally said...

I'm not doing well with commenting here today. Your posts wouldn't be the same without seeing beautiful Sloane Avery. <3

Taking Aunt Jemina off the labels is so disheartening! Why? Disgusting.

Your food always looks so good no matter which of you are cooking.

xoxo

Sally said...

Oh, and the fish and chips look good, sad they weren't. Next time go to Captain D's. I love it but have only seen on when visiting W. Florida. So that's out now too. :(

Bill said...

I love fish and chips but most likely I would have been extremely disappointed in the ones you got too. The pup is very cute and adorable. Enjoy the weekend.

Granny Marigold said...

How disappointing to have your fish & chips not crispy as they should have been.
But what a great surprise those 3 puppies were! An unexpected gift.
Cute "Difference between Big Sister and Big Brother". I had to chuckle when I read how to make sure you don't get stuck making holiday meals...

photowannabe said...

Auntie Jennette cracked me up..perfect advice!
Wow that's expensive for fish and chips anytime and especially when they were doughy..eww
I too am completely disgusted with PC and Woke...Erasing history is awful!
Sue

Linda said...

You have THE most charming posts!!!
My step son Dean leaves reviews nearly every where he eats as he is a true foodie!
Dining mistakes can be terribly expensive!!

Far Side of Fifty said...

What fun to have a pup on the horizon, I am sure you will come up with the perfect name...maybe Scarlet:)

Far Side of Fifty said...

Forgot to say yes you must have rice with Gumbo...and I would have sent the food back:)

Chatty Crone said...

Love fish and chips and PUGS!
My daughter and I just went to a pet store tonight and they had two beautiful pugs at $3K each.
Your food always looks so good.
Before they totally banned all the products I went out and got one of everything - to save for the future.
Seems like the book I think 1984 where they eradicate history.

Visits With Mary said...

The last 2 pictures made me laugh!! I love you little new dogbaby, she's so cute. Finding the perfect name has always been hard for me, I usually change my mind several times before one sticks. Even though the meal wasn't up to par, time with friends is always fun.

dori said...

To eat in a restaurant sometimes or more is expensive and not too delicious. I don't eat in restaurants since some years, because of "wrong" fat and irritated staomche ! :)

Very sweet dogbabies!!! For Mother and father my respect and congratulations!!

You will find nice names ❤️๐Ÿค๐Ÿ’š๐ŸŒฟ๐ŸŒฒ๐Ÿฟ๐Ÿฆ”๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ‡๐Ÿ•Š

The little fair girl kissing the baby is adorable.

Hugs to you from Dori from the Bavarian Forest.

Ann said...

Well the fish and chips LOOK good.
Such a sweet little puppy face.

Linda said...

Fish and chips need to be crunchy, so sorry this was not the case. I am very particular about this as well. I would have complained--but that is just me, that is a lot of money to pay for a meal that was not up to par.

ANYWAYS-cute puppies. Our (well, truth be told our late sons) German Shep. passed away this past July. It was rough, but I told hubby we need to get a dog, it will help both of us with losing our son and his dog. So far, we can't agree.

Wishing you a beautiful week ahead, Donna.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hello. I am a new follower coming over from Linda's (Simply Linda). Wow, those fish and chips look good - so sorry to hear that they were a disappointment. Soggy fish in fish and chips - not OK. Sounds like your meal was expensive disappointment. At least you were able to get together with friends. Your new puppy is adorable. What a happy accident! I hope you have a good Sunday. I will be back to visit again soon!

Lowcarb team member said...

Oh dear! Shame about the fish and chips, but at least you spent nice time with friends.

Always a pleasure to see a photograph of sweet baby Sloane :)

My good wishes.

All the best Jan

Jeanette said...

Mostly I like the fish and chips at restaurants but there was one restaurant you could have wrung the grease off of it Yuck! Sloane gets cuter every picture if that's even possible! Actually, it is because Maxwell and Levi get cuter every time I see them! That is an adorable puppy!

Pattie said...

I remember the first time my husband and I went to Fish City Grill. We weren’t offered any samples. You were quite fortunate! Our experience was a good one, and I was reminded of that looking at that beautiful photo of fish and chips. Now I’m craving them.

Catherine said...

I love fish and chips but they must be well prepared to be tasty.
I live your new bevy dog, so cute.
The pie you bake looks very good I wish I had some of it ๐Ÿ˜†
Baby Sloane is always very cute.
Have a good week!

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

Hi Donna, I’m catching up to your posts. It was nice to see pics of Ruth Ann, Sloane and all the birthday people. Of course I love all your food. I’m picky about fish ‘n chips, too. Your tomato sauce recipe is how I do mine, too. What fun to have a new puppy! I hope you have a wonderful week. xo

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh, I love fish and chips. Sorry you had a bad experience at this place. It's one of my things to eat during the Lent season. Your new pug is cute. I wish I had a slice of your blueberry peach tart to go with my coffee this morning. That looks amazing. And baby Sloane just melts your heart, doesn't she? Oh, that heart with the pink roses is gorgeous. You know, I like pink roses almost as much as red. That photo of the little ones is so funny, and I can relate. After having two girls, it was a special surprise to have a son. Have a great week, Donna. What a delightful post this was today.

~Sheri

Barb said...

Hi Donna~ Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment on my blog, I always love meeting new friends. What an adorable pup! I have loved browsing through your posts, some great things here! Nothing worse than a soggy fish and chip, and cold fries are really the worst. Your little great-grand is adorable, love those cheeks! Aunt Jemima was such a household name, it's a shame that "they" can't just leave things alone. Such a fun post, I'm looking forward to visiting again soon. Barb

Sandra Cox said...

Those puppies are so cute.
That is really too bad your experience wasn't better at the new restaurant:(

diane b said...

That would make me mad after waiting 45 mins to be seated and then the meal was not worth waiting for.The puppy and baby Sloan are gorgeous.

ashok said...

Looks can be misleading. The fish and chips actually good! Sorry to know they disappointed you.The best one i had was in Brighton, UK.

DeniseinVA said...

Such a shame about your fish and chip meal. It looks good but nothing worse than what you described. It would probably put me off going back for a long time, if ever. I know we don’t like to make a fuss but it would be a gift to let them know so that they get a chance to get their act together. New restaurants have a hard time, even old established restaurants around here have closed down. Good that you at least got to enjoy your friends’ company. Ah, sweet little Sloane, she sure is adorable! That sweet little pup is cute, yes even the perpetrator and Mitzi. I have often wondered if we should get another, as I do miss having a furry-family member. I keep going back and forth. Thanks for a fun read. I always enjoy your posts. Have a great weekend :)

Sandra Cox said...

Sweet Sloane:)

Sally said...

Lucy! New pup
That's my decision and I'm stickin' to it.
xoxo

Jenny the Pirate said...

Oh my word I can smell the puppy breath! I am so jealous! I don't need another animal to care for but that little thing may need ME ... just saying, haaaha! We have a restaurant war story too, from last weekend. It was awful. Maybe I will share next week. THANK YOU for the sweet birthday card, my friend! I always love to see your beautiful handwriting because I know it means that the envelope will contain love. You're a star in every way and I love you xoxo