Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Crystal Idea



I like the name of this so I Stole it from Miz Brenda...and created by Crystal (who likes to see us all work), anyway, here's my two "impression" making influences in my life... The first one was The Good Earth, by Pearl S. Buck. This was the first novel I had ever read. I was thirteen, and it really made quiet an impression on me. Poverty, slavery, birth, death...the whole enchilada. Pearl S. Buck won the Pulitzer for it. There were also sequels later on, but I never bothered with them. The book had a beginning, middle and an ending. I'm not really nuts about sequels. To me, they are never as good as you might hope.

The second is the Walt Disney movie, Pollyanna. I was eleven when I saw it and loved everything about it. The thing I carried away from that movie? The "glad game". It's real, and it really works. I'm forever grateful to old Walt and the Disney Studios. When Pollyanna found herself having to tell a minister how to "find" his faith again by using the "glad game"...well, see it for yourselves, if you haven't already.

So, until tomorrow, y'all have a happy and Very Glad day!

16 comments:

Rosie said...

Oh how lovely Donna! I have never read The Good Earth but you have described the book well. Ahh Pollyanna a great film.

BTW I have now completed my meme that you tagged me with :D

Have a lovely day sweetie :D

Rosie x

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen Pollyanna in so long! But I have been CALLED a Pollyanna!
I may have to go rent that...

Donna said...

Rosie- Fantastic! I'll be over shortly!! Thanks SO much for doing it Sweetie!!


Jazzi- Go Rent IT!! In fact, go buy the CD...it'll bring back lots of good memories!hughug

Donna said...

Jazzi- sorry...I meant the DVD!!LOL

Crystal said...

Thanks mom for playing!! See, I even learned something about you that I didn't know...That's the whole point of this right? So what ELSE aren't you telling me...TELL ME WOMAN!!LOL! LOVE YOU!

Donna said...

Yo...yu talkin ta ME??? TONS...I'll never tell.....

Crystal said...

Kinda like stalking people??? Yeah, you better look over your shoulder;o)

Sea Angels said...

Hello Donna thankyou sooo much for the recipe, right up my street scrummy, I'm a Gumbo convert. I love Pearl Bucks books I think I have read all of her Chinese ones,she really gives a huge heatbreaking insight into a land of dreams and mystery. I can't stop reading another author Diana Gabaldon, I am terribly addicted....no hope!!
Hugs and have a happy week
Lynn xx
That was so sweet of you to give me the recipe xx

Donna said...

Lynn- No problem Sweetheart! Hope you enjoy it! Love Gabaldon books!!

Laura said...

You are right, the sequels were not as good, but that book is wonderful.

Brenda said...

I've never read The Good Earth, I'll have to try to find it. Those are both great influences especially since you've let us take a peek into your psych. :-)

Donna said...

Cooking in the City- Thank you So much! You come by anytime!!


Laura- You can imagine how profound, to a thirteen yr old, it was then!lol Have a smile from me to you today!!!


Brenda- Weird, Hey? LOL Oh well, I'm a Happy , weird, person!! LOL
You have lotsa fun today Girl...

Tracy said...

Hi Donna, I like Pollyanna, too. :)

I posted the recipe for the homemade Windex on my blog just for you. Hope you have a great day!

Donna said...

Tracy!! THANK YOU!! Pennies saved...Add Up!LOL Have fun today Sweetheart!

Anonymous said...

Looks like I need to get my finger out and do the meme. Someone else tagged me too.

Thanks for that!

Crystal Jigsaw xx

Donna said...

Crystal Jigsaw- LOL..You're getting very popular sweetie!! Besides, you're a good sport!! Have fun today!!!