Thursday, January 17, 2008

Hot Chocolate


This is SO true.... settle back with your hot chocolate and ponder for a while...

A group of graduates, well established in their careers, were talking at a
reunion and decided to go visit their old university professor, now
retired.
During their visit, the conversation turned to complaints about stress in
their work and lives.
Offering his guests hot chocolate, the professor went into the kitchen and
returned with a large pot of hot chocolate and an assortment of
cups -porcelain, glass, crystal, some plain looking, some expensive, some
exquisite - telling them to help themselves to the hot chocolate.
When they all had a cup of hot chocolate in hand, the professor said:
"Notice that all the nice looking, expensive cups were
taken, leaving behind the plain and cheap ones. While it is normal for you
to want only the best for yourselves, that is the source of your
problems and stress.
The cup that you're drinking from adds nothing to the quality of the hot
chocolate. In most cases it is just more expensive and in some cases even
hides what we drink. What all of you really wanted was hot
chocolate, not the cup; but you consciously went for the best cups... And
then you began eyeing each other's cups.
Now consider this: Life is the hot chocolate; your job, money and position
in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold and contain life.
The cup you have does not define, nor change the quality of life you have.
Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the hot
chocolate God has provided us. God makes the hot chocolate, man chooses
the cups.
The happiest people don't have the best of everything.
They just make the best of everything that they have.

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.
And enjoy your hot chocolate.

18 comments:

jenn said...

I seriously love that.

I hope you are feeling better today!

Donna said...

Jenn- Why, yes mam I am! LOL Thanks...Glad you liked the post. Figured most readers are COLD today! Stay Warm!! hughug

Dick said...

Wow, that is a story to remember, I like it. Like the photo too, it looks so inviting.

Donna said...

Dick- I'll have to remember to bring some chocolate up to work...coffee's good but I think today would have been a good chocolate day!! Have a fun one!!

Donna said...

The older I get, the more I am convinced of this kind of wisdom!

Donna said...

Donna- Hello! And, absolutely...Who needs more stress in their lives, especially when we all have so many good choices we can make,,every day.Hope you're staying warm tonight!!

Unknown said...

I love this Donna. I've not heard this one before but it's a good one. Thanks for sharing!

Anvilcloud said...

The happiest people don't have the best of everything.
They just make the best of everything that they have.


I couldn't have said it better, and I've tried.

Brenda said...

Words to live by! Love it!

How are you feeling today Miz Donna?

Donna said...

Joan- I hadn't either. When I read it it just made me smile..hugs


Anvilcloud- You and me both! Funny how a cup of hot chocolate and an "old professor" can find the answers so easily! lol


Brenda- Doing lots better, thanks Miz Brenda! Glad you enjoyed the post!!

Rosie said...

I really enjoyed reading this post infact loved it :D Something to keep in mind hey!!

Rosie x

jenn said...

Good morning, miss donna. I've tagged you for a meme if you want to play along!

Tracy said...

Very wise words, Donna! Hope you have a wonderful day. :)

Sally said...

So very true - I'd read this, but it certainly bears repeating over and over!

Glad to hear you're feeling better. Take care, and have good weekend. (HUGS)

Sea Angels said...

What a wonderful story, it really gave me a lot to think about. I thought that in a way, wouldn't we all choose different cups for different reasons, because that is what makes us all individual and special, not better than our friends or family just different.
Have a great weekend Donna.
Hugs Lynn xx

Donna said...

Rosie- We should all remember it! Much love sweetie!


Jenn- I'll be over to check it out!! Have fun today Girl!


Tracy- You to Sweetie! And who needs more stress in their lives.. Stay Warm!!


Sally- Yes I Am feeling better! I think it was the change in diet..locarb to eating Oat Bran muffins!! Have a great day Sally!


Lynn- Couldn't have said it better myself! Hope you're not getting snowed on!!lol Have fun this weekend!

jenn said...

yes, you've been a very bad girl....just kidding :)!!

I re-invited you, so hopefully this will take care of the problems you're having. If not, let me know!

Donna said...

Jenn- Thanks Sweetie!!